Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > TESCO SELLING TURTLES IN CHINA

Old 20-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #51
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

How can they let that happen! Its cruelty! Pure evil cruelty!

Last edited by EquestrianBabe; 20-02-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: ( no reason )
EquestrianBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #52
long-lost-love
Incubating

Im so glad im vegitarian and always have been
long-lost-love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #53
Sharon.T.
Egg

They are all of the crappy names people can use but can't print. It's ok though, because Turtles and frogs don't feel pain, or suffer and of course they are ugly and slimy instead of cuddly and fluffy so that's ok then! I know for a fact that frogs scream. When we first moved into our house I was woken in the night by a piercing scream, I ran downstairs into the garden to find a frog being patted (not clawed) by one of my cats. He only wanted to make it jump but it frightened the poor thing. So cat was told off and frog relocated unharmed, it was still an awful noise. I have been vegetarian for 15yrs now. I wanted to do it for ages but the one thing that made me stick by it and I've never eaten meat since was a documentary about animal cruelty in the food trade. The way they killed, sorry tortured dogs and cats and other animals broke my heart and I was still sobbing 3hrs later when my hbby returned from work. I wish I could remember who had made the documentary because I would send it to the board of Tesco to watch and see if they still respect customs then, when they're watching the same animals they keep as pets tortured. It turns out they should change their slogan to 'Every little helps...us get richer' because, clearly that's their only aim!
Sharon.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 12:15 AM   #54
gregnobes
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
In regard to the livestock though, Halal meat :
"Zibah require animals to be alive and healthy at the time of slaughter, since carrion is forbidden and, jugular vein, carotid artery and windpipe have to be severed by a razor sharp knife by a single swipe"

these animals are NOT stunned

All major supermarkets in the UK sell this produce. The animals here are killed NO differently to the torts we're hearing about in china... in a factory or not.
they are killed very fast but the only problem is the animal needs to be hung up side down and this takes time. we only eat hala meat as we are muslim and im not saying theres anything wrong with it as this is how Allah told us to kill animals but i still dont like watching it and when i was 15 i had to do it and i know it sounds vain but i dont like to see meat being killed but im happy to eat it :S stupid i know but i guess thats the way here in the west we do it no like my motherland where u have the lamb grow the lamb and kill it (after killing the lamb i became a vege for 2 years lol)
gregnobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 01:41 AM   #55
EJ
Adult

Frogs don't screem.

Anthropomorphising is the largest road block in this conversation.

Again... the kind of 'documentary' is created for the very reason we are having this conversation.

I only wish a truely objective editor could be found to actually present an informative and objective documentary on the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon.T. View Post
They are all of the crappy names people can use but can't print. It's ok though, because Turtles and frogs don't feel pain, or suffer and of course they are ugly and slimy instead of cuddly and fluffy so that's ok then! I know for a fact that frogs scream. When we first moved into our house I was woken in the night by a piercing scream, I ran downstairs into the garden to find a frog being patted (not clawed) by one of my cats. He only wanted to make it jump but it frightened the poor thing. So cat was told off and frog relocated unharmed, it was still an awful noise. I have been vegetarian for 15yrs now. I wanted to do it for ages but the one thing that made me stick by it and I've never eaten meat since was a documentary about animal cruelty in the food trade. The way they killed, sorry tortured dogs and cats and other animals broke my heart and I was still sobbing 3hrs later when my hbby returned from work. I wish I could remember who had made the documentary because I would send it to the board of Tesco to watch and see if they still respect customs then, when they're watching the same animals they keep as pets tortured. It turns out they should change their slogan to 'Every little helps...us get richer' because, clearly that's their only aim!
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 01:43 AM   #56
EJ
Adult

This took balls... and gives a very realistic point of view... thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnobes View Post
they are killed very fast but the only problem is the animal needs to be hung up side down and this takes time. we only eat hala meat as we are muslim and im not saying theres anything wrong with it as this is how Allah told us to kill animals but i still dont like watching it and when i was 15 i had to do it and i know it sounds vain but i dont like to see meat being killed but im happy to eat it :S stupid i know but i guess thats the way here in the west we do it no like my motherland where u have the lamb grow the lamb and kill it (after killing the lamb i became a vege for 2 years lol)
and
Old 22-05-2010, 03:03 AM   #57
gregnobes
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
This took balls... and gives a very realistic point of view... thanks.
lol thanks but its true most people eat meat but i bet if people saw how alot of animals lived and died they would not u go to tescos or wherever but a nice big chicken thats pumped with water and crap and people look at the PRICE not where it comes from or how it lived like in the uk alot of beef is imported from brazil and that and im the same i would much prefer not to know or see how it lived and died but at the end iof the day whats different eat a cow to a tortoise NOTHER the difference is we care about tortoises more than cows and sheep because its normal well thats what i think anyways
gregnobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 03:52 AM   #58
EJ
Adult

Rarely does it actually get stated. I personally got a kick out of a Muslum point of view...

...which I believe most of Indonesia is. I make this point because Indonesia (only one culture) is another point of interest for disappearing turtles... which has been introduced to turtle farming...

There are people who take a realistic point of view... including many conservationists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnobes View Post
lol thanks but its true most people eat meat but i bet if people saw how alot of animals lived and died they would not u go to tescos or wherever but a nice big chicken thats pumped with water and crap and people look at the PRICE not where it comes from or how it lived like in the uk alot of beef is imported from brazil and that and im the same i would much prefer not to know or see how it lived and died but at the end iof the day whats different eat a cow to a tortoise NOTHER the difference is we care about tortoises more than cows and sheep because its normal well thats what i think anyways
and
Old 22-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #59
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

There was a programme on the other night about eating turtles in the US, turtle soup, turtles were boiled for 4 hours but the guy said it was a bit stringy

I kept fish for 20 years but it didn't stop me eating fish
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #60
johnsy
Egg

so your all veggies then!
johnsy is offline   Reply With Quote