Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 17-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Default Lighting & Heating Suggestions Please!

OH is working hard. we have revamped our old block built "birdroom", now insulated inside (walls & floor) and framework in place for 3 tortoise tables. On left side, ground floor table is 12' long x 3' wide, divided in to 2 pens with sides 14", First floor table 3' above, 12' long x 2' wide divided in to 4 pens.
Central walk way with one table 8' long x 3' wide, split in to 2 pens on right hand side.

For the single table on right hand side, am planning on using MVBs, suspended from ceiling, but what to do on left hand side?

Have been looking at Exo Terra "light cycle" 48" dual UVB, one dual for over bottom table, two across top table, then using individual angled lamp holders for spot bulbs. Now looking at Arcadia D3 &UV flood, but not sure how many units I would need to cover all pens.

Have now totally confused myself - help winter is on the way

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Hi,

100% the flood will provide more energy in a more usable way than old style T8 systems.

Why don't you send me a drawing of your room with the dims marked out and I will check what units you need and where. I really don't mind helping

Arcadiareptile@Arcadia-uk.com

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelylayla View Post
OH is working hard. we have revamped our old block built "birdroom", now insulated inside (walls & floor) and framework in place for 3 tortoise tables. On left side, ground floor table is 12' long x 3' wide, divided in to 2 pens with sides 14", First floor table 3' above, 12' long x 2' wide divided in to 4 pens.
Central walk way with one table 8' long x 3' wide, split in to 2 pens on right hand side.

For the single table on right hand side, am planning on using MVBs, suspended from ceiling, but what to do on left hand side?

Have been looking at Exo Terra "light cycle" 48" dual UVB, one dual for over bottom table, two across top table, then using individual angled lamp holders for spot bulbs. Now looking at Arcadia D3 &UV flood, but not sure how many units I would need to cover all pens.

Have now totally confused myself - help winter is on the way
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
wigwamman
Juvenile

that's what i call above and beyond the call of duty!
john i salute you sir!
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
Hi,

100% the flood will provide more energy in a more usable way than old style T8 systems.

Why don't you send me a drawing of your room with the dims marked out and I will check what units you need and where. I really don't mind helping

Arcadiareptile@Arcadia-uk.com

John
John - you are a star!! Not sure if this will help you advise, but have attached some photos which I hope detail the structure so far

This is the front of the building - worth mentioning that a new 5 wall polycarbonate roof has been put on! The left end of the building has been blocked off inside to provide indoor accommodation for our remaining ringneck parakeets. A door is yet to be added, as can be seen in next photo.

The total room area for the tortoises (and me to move in) is approximately 16' x 8', including a 2' corridor for me down the middle. The height of the ceiling is sloping from 10' to 8' approximately.

The idea is to put one table on the right, measuring 8' x 3', split in to 2 pens - over this I had intended to suspend MVBs for the Golden Greeks who will be living there.
On the left, there will be a ground floor space of approx. 12' x 3', split in two.
Above this, a top floor of 12' x 24" approx., split in to 4 pens. i.e. 3' x 2' each.

Above is more detail of the left hand ground floor and first floor flats!

More detail of the double table split.

As luck would have it, I have several more male than female torts, hence the reason for all the pens

I was speaking to Ben in Swell Reptiles this morning, he was suggesting hanging MVBs above all 4 first floor units - not sure if this was a bit excessive, but it would eliminate the need for separate UVB and heat sources for each pen.
For the ground floor, which is slightly wider to prevent the occupants from thinking they are in a coffin, I am thinking of an Arcadia D£ & UVB complete unit for each of the 2 pens.

Oh yes, the floor under the runs has been insulated and has heat mats which will be on thermostats

Mind you, all of this is subject to any advice I have from you - thank you so much John

4 ex bat hens.
Old 18-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

No problem, it's a bitter sweet thing for me as bird keeper also...seeing someone leave the fancy.....

Anyhoo

Looks great.

I would in fact advise against the use of M.V lamps. Yes we make and sell thousands of them and they are GREAT as a boosting zone first thing for a couple of hours but they have limitations. As you know you cannot control them and they only provide UV energy over a rather small area. And...they cost a bunch to run!

When choosing your "life support systems" it is important to follow a few rules. 1.Provide enough space to regulate in
2. Have good control over your systems
3. Provide the animal access to a wild Index, only then will you be sure of full use of the D3 cycle.

So you have space! That's great. We then need to control heat. It is far cheaper to heat the room to a level and then maintain basking temps withna stat controlled heat source. Why provide energy to a heat source if the ambient is hot enough?? It is just wasteful.

Then we have to provide light had energy from light to the animal and that MUST be in a way that the animal can make use of it. I.e a wide enough area. This area can then be matched with access to cooler temps and shade. This is called the light and shade method and for me is reptile keeping perfection!

In your case I would suggest that you do use the D3+ UVFLOOD. This can be fitted above or even hung above the hot zone, it will light an area about 40cms square and will provide upper basking, so an index of 4-6 at 12-15" off of the back of the shell. It is also low voltage and totally waterproof. Spraying down will not explode your system! It is also just 24 watts per system and not 160watts!!

For me it's all about control, if you have control over your temps you have have control per species, per enclosure and per season. If you have high power Uv energy over a nice wide area that can be adjusted by moving the fitting for instance on wires you have control over the total index provided at any one time and all for vastly less running costs.

You could then run a 100w M.V over the basking spot as a hot, UV rich boosting zone just for a couple of hours in the AM if YOU wish.

Hope this helps

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelylayla View Post
John - you are a star!! Not sure if this will help you advise, but have attached some photos which I hope detail the structure so far

This is the front of the building - worth mentioning that a new 5 wall polycarbonate roof has been put on! The left end of the building has been blocked off inside to provide indoor accommodation for our remaining ringneck parakeets. A door is yet to be added, as can be seen in next photo.

The total room area for the tortoises (and me to move in) is approximately 16' x 8', including a 2' corridor for me down the middle. The height of the ceiling is sloping from 10' to 8' approximately.

The idea is to put one table on the right, measuring 8' x 3', split in to 2 pens - over this I had intended to suspend MVBs for the Golden Greeks who will be living there.
On the left, there will be a ground floor space of approx. 12' x 3', split in two.
Above this, a top floor of 12' x 24" approx., split in to 4 pens. i.e. 3' x 2' each.

Above is more detail of the left hand ground floor and first floor flats!

More detail of the double table split.

As luck would have it, I have several more male than female torts, hence the reason for all the pens

I was speaking to Ben in Swell Reptiles this morning, he was suggesting hanging MVBs above all 4 first floor units - not sure if this was a bit excessive, but it would eliminate the need for separate UVB and heat sources for each pen.
For the ground floor, which is slightly wider to prevent the occupants from thinking they are in a coffin, I am thinking of an Arcadia D£ & UVB complete unit for each of the 2 pens.

Oh yes, the floor under the runs has been insulated and has heat mats which will be on thermostats

Mind you, all of this is subject to any advice I have from you - thank you so much John
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Gordon
Adult

He has been busy when is the carpet going down
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Catwoman63
Adult

Looks great Lynne, I have a 20ft or so garage at the bottom of my garden full of junk, was thinking about converting that....then I can have more torts x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
No problem, it's a bitter sweet thing for me as bird keeper also...seeing someone leave the fancy.....

Anyhoo

Looks great.

I would in fact advise against the use of M.V lamps. Yes we make and sell thousands of them and they are GREAT as a boosting zone first thing for a couple of hours but they have limitations. As you know you cannot control them and they only provide UV energy over a rather small area. And...they cost a bunch to run!

When choosing your "life support systems" it is important to follow a few rules. 1.Provide enough space to regulate in
2. Have good control over your systems
3. Provide the animal access to a wild Index, only then will you be sure of full use of the D3 cycle.

So you have space! That's great. We then need to control heat. It is far cheaper to heat the room to a level and then maintain basking temps withna stat controlled heat source. Why provide energy to a heat source if the ambient is hot enough?? It is just wasteful.

Then we have to provide light had energy from light to the animal and that MUST be in a way that the animal can make use of it. I.e a wide enough area. This area can then be matched with access to cooler temps and shade. This is called the light and shade method and for me is reptile keeping perfection!

In your case I would suggest that you do use the D3+ UVFLOOD. This can be fitted above or even hung above the hot zone, it will light an area about 40cms square and will provide upper basking, so an index of 4-6 at 12-15" off of the back of the shell. It is also low voltage and totally waterproof. Spraying down will not explode your system! It is also just 24 watts per system and not 160watts!!

For me it's all about control, if you have control over your temps you have have control per species, per enclosure and per season. If you have high power Uv energy over a nice wide area that can be adjusted by moving the fitting for instance on wires you have control over the total index provided at any one time and all for vastly less running costs.

You could then run a 100w M.V over the basking spot as a hot, UV rich boosting zone just for a couple of hours in the AM if YOU wish.

Hope this helps

John
Hi John

Thank you so much for spending the time to give me a completely sensible, informative and understandable answer Think you must have been reading my mind - I knew where I wanted to get but not how to get there Despite hours of browsing over products I was ending up with more questions than answers so I am mega grateful to you

Have not given up on our feathered friends - the Eclectus parrots have their new block on the other side of the garden

Thanks again

4 ex bat hens.
Old 18-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnip View Post
He has been busy when is the carpet going down
Ha, just need a reason to roll out the red carpet

4 ex bat hens.
Old 18-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
Looks great Lynne, I have a 20ft or so garage at the bottom of my garden full of junk, was thinking about converting that....then I can have more torts x
Go for it Bev sounds a bit bigger than my old birdroom but guessing the principles would be the same

4 ex bat hens.