Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 13-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
Misterthomas
Egg

Default Lethargic Charlie

Hi again everyone,
Well it's a week tomorrow since i got my beloved Charlie and he is settling in great! Saying this i am concerned as he does not move around as much as i thought he would, he spends a lot of time sleeping (this is done with all limbs out of his shell in the day and limbs tucked in at night - is this normal?).
I have moved his basking lamp around a bit in his enclosure so it warms his plant pot up so he now sleeps in there (before he just slept directly under it which worried me).
He only really eats twice a day - about 1 pansy head, 1 dandelion flower and 1 bindweed leaf at each meal (maximum), i've never seen his drink or bath in his enclosure water but he did have a nice big drink when i bathed him tuesday afternoon (followed by a big wee lol).
The only time he is really active is from about 9am-1pm then about 9.30pm-10.30pm the rest of the time he spends sleeping . Do you think he needs more interaction? Or is this normal behaviour and i am fretting (again!) I have a rabbit run which i am setting up outside to allow him a roam later, see if it perks him up a little!
Appreciate any advice,
Thanks, Angie x
Misterthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 11:58 AM   #2
sandy
Adult

Hi Angie

Sounds pretty normal to me<g>.
It can take weeks for some tortoises to settle into a new home. As long as he has clear eyes and a
dry nose, I wouldnt worry too much.
If he/she is eating then there cant be too much wrong.
If you bathe him/her daily to keep hydrated, this also encourages eating.
Is your tortoise a young one?
If so they will sleep a lot. He/she also might want to get away from the direct heat. So please
allow him/her a colder end to be able to escape too.
If you are going to put him outside (which is the best you can do for your tortoise, depending on
where you live of course) then be prepared for him to do the same. As again its another change.
He will settle down, just give him time.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
Misterthomas
Egg

Thanks Sandy, he is 2 years old. He does have cooler areas in his enclosure and a hide but he has a preference to lie directly under the light .
I have just set up an outdoor enclosure so he can safely go out when i am home and he seems to have livened up - he has been in the 'pool' i put for him (that's a first - he hates having a bath!) and he seems to love clambering over the slates in there! I think i will certainly put him outside when i am home after seeing his reaction.
Thanks again though
Old 13-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
sandy
Adult

Hi Angie

You have just learnt a good lesson<g> tortoises are far happier outside. They love to explore
and graze and eat weeds/plants growing, as and when they want too. They are different tortoises
outside, their personalities show big time.

Old 13-07-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
Misterthomas
Egg

So i've noticed - although he's gone to sleep in the dark now so i think i'll fetch him in soon. The only problem i have is i only have slabs outside (with weeds growing between them ) do you think he'll be ok not having any grass to graze on? I have put him a tub of substrate in there so he can go in that - but to be honest he seems to prefer to clamber over the slates
Old 13-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #6
sandy
Adult

Hi Angie

One way to get over this, is to get a seed tray fill with soil, then put on the grass seeds. Once
the grass is growing put a ramp or the like up to it, so he can graze. You can also put in weed
seeds along with the grass. My smaller ones love this. You can have two/three trays on the go,
one for feeding, one growing, and one regrowing.
You could have guinea pig cage or the like, to put him outside in, planted up they make great
enclosures for small tortoistes. Having the added bonus of a wire top to stop any preditors.
They come in lots of different sizes, and if you frequent boot sales, you can get them even
cheaper.

Old 13-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
Misterthomas
Egg

Oooooh excellent idea sandy! He has a trianguler rabbit run for outside (to stop any predators) but i have plenty of those little trays - and grass seeds! will go plant some now - Thanks