Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 26-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
miss_migalawes
Egg

Default Is my baby tortoise sick??!!!

Hi,
I have a 3 month old Tunisian greek tortoise, see http://basmajalloul.com/2.jpg for photo. She used to be active but since End of december, she started slowing down then she fell asleep and wouldn't want to wake up. She stopped eating (I give her various weeds and flowers like dandelions her favorite, i sprinkle them with calcium powder. I soak her everyday in luke warm water. I couldn't find (for the life of me) a UVB lamp locally so I had to order it online and I'm still waiting for it, I also ordered a reptile heating pad which is also on the way. So for now, I keep her warm by placing her on my laptop's warm spot, put her enclosure in the sun whenever i can, and have a 40w lightbulb to warm her during the night. And also for the record, in my country we don't have vets that specialize in reptiles (they only treat cattle animals), so that's not an option for me ((
Sorry for rambling, but I wanted to lay out the conditions my tortoise is living before posing the problem.
I noticed, I'm not sure if this was from the beginning or not, that her plastron was soft, when i press it gently, her little legs and head expand a little. I read on the internet that it was normal since she's still a hatch-ling and still growing up. So please, tell me, is this really normal?
Another thing that worried me, is today while i was soaking her, she started closing and opening her mouth, i thought she was drinking so i didn't give it much though. After i got her out, i noticed a snot like thing near her mouth so i wiped it and put her near me as usual. shortly after, she started opening and closing her mouth like she's gasping for air, and when i looked closely, i noticed this snot like product inside her mouth. Is this a respiratory infection? ( she was fine yesterday and up until i soaked her, please help!!!!!
P.S:: it's been 3 weeks since she fell asleep and she hasn't woken up since only for brief moments to look at me when i want to wake her up then goes back to sleep.
miss_migalawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Merlin M
Adult

What are the temperatures during the day (basking and cool end) and at night?
To me it sounds like she has been too cold. Is there any discharge from her nose?
I have never dealt with a respiratory infection so not too sure but she could be sick.. someone with more experience will help i'm sure!

But I would get the temps up, you need 30-34°C in the warm end and 20°C in the cool end and at night.
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
miss_migalawes
Egg

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I don't really have a way to measure temperatures in the warm areas i put her in, but the weather temps bounce between 15 and 8 °C . I know these temps are low but until I receive the UVB lamp and heating pad, i can't provide warmer conditions at night :'(
She doesn't have a runny nose, but for the last hour or two, she's been discharging every drop of water from her body (i don't know if it's from her peepee hole it seems like it's coming from under her shell). She kept discharging until her stomach became empty (i noticed it became more concave and hollow than usual)
Old 26-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
Merlin M
Adult

Do you have a lamp you can put a standard 60w bulb in? (not an energy saving one) as they give off good heat
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
miss_migalawes
Egg

Yes, I already a 40w bulb, do you think i should bump it up to 60w or 75w?
Old 26-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
miss_migalawes
Egg

to everyone who visited thread, thank you. But unfortunately, my baby tortoise passed away about an hour ago
Old 26-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Yes, definitely increase the bulb wattage - you want to try to achieve 30 degrees under the basking spot. Are you able to buy a thermometer from Ebay - they are not too expensive and would give you an idea what the temperature is. Would carry on with warm baths, warmth is going to be the best thing for your tort if you are not able to get to a vet.

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Oh - I am so very sorry By the time I did my post, yours had appeared.

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
Suze65
Adult

Oh no, so sorry for you, I'm not sure, but it sounds like it could have been a respiratory infection, which would have needed antibiotics.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #10
emma_mcraf
Adult

I'm really sorry to hear such sad news. I think Suze is right - it did sound like a respiratory infection.
Poor little tort.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby tortoise, sick tortoise