Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Shelled Warriors Shop, Classifieds and Rehoming > Rehoming

Old 02-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
Thresh1974
Egg

Default Tortoise Attack help needed

Hi my 11 yr old Spur Thigh started getting very vicious 2 years ago. I seperated him from his brother to my mums garden, however still territorial and attacking anyone that goes on the grass. I have children so I had to move him after he had drawn blood in my ankle and toe. Anyway dad was gardening and usually leaves him alone if hes wearing certain shoes but came up and bit his hand! Dad at 84 is now fed up and I need to move him somewhere else, any suggestions are gratefully received as my dad just wants to enjoy his garden. X
Thresh1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

hello there T 1974. I am afraid some tortoises can be very territorial and sounds like your ST is one of those ! I am not sure you can curb behaviour , as they are defending territory and also inquisitive by nature , so you can never be completely sure which day he will bite or feed. Biting is probably going to be any day ending in Y I suggest , but you could put some scaffold boards around him and build a nice pen, plenty of distractions and hiding places where he can not get near anyone. My Ibera male is the same. He can even feel the vibrations on his decking if I stand on it and will speed over his food just to get at my feet or hands and then go back to it. They are loving reptiles but it can be a problem especially with older people as they oldies can become fearful. If it doesn't work out then perhaps consider rehoming to a person with lots of space also. You will need 5 posts to have them appear live time on here. CB
Old 02-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
Thresh1974
Egg

Hi
Thank you and yes i think rehoming is the answer as the garden space usnt big enough to board it off, will have a look thank you x
Old 02-09-2018, 09:35 PM   #4
Jan W
Sub Adult

I thought the same as CB - build a pen.

However, I wondered how I would feel with having such a naughty tortoise. It isn't very pleasurable. However, in a pen you could really enjoy just watching him, especially if he settles down with having his own space.

Good luck.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:40 PM   #5
Thresh1974
Egg

Well he has had his own space in terms of their garden, i dont like penning them in and besides its not an option due to the garden size.x
Old 07-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

Good luck, always options ! CB