Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 08-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
amaksoud
Egg

Default Redslider with swollen eyes

Hi

first of all please excuse my poor English and lack of terms that are well known to you.

I have a young lady redslider who suffers swollen eyes, it began to appear 3 days ago. As vets are not an option where I live, I got a recommendation from another forum to use maxitrol as a treatment. Since the person who recommended it didn't specify the dosage, I use it once a day.

I tried to get back to him again but he's not responding, I need to know if this dosage is enough or not. I can barely put some of maxitrol on her eyes as she keeps her hed inside the shell all the time since this happened.

Also for those who had the same before with their turtles, how long does it take to get rid of the swollen eyes ?

She doesn't swim or move at all, standing on a rock all the time and never dive and of course not eating. Are these symptoms normal for the case ?
amaksoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

From what you've said is happening to your RES, it sounds like she either has a respiratory infection or a vitamin A deficiency. Does she have any discharge from her nose?

Danny
Old 09-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
amaksoud
Egg

I can't really tell if she has discharge or not.

I was suspecting vitamin A deficiency as well and was hoping to get a suitable vitamin A supplement that's sold internationally.

I just noticed that the swollen eyes are less than before, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for your help, Danny.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
amaksoud
Egg

One more thing, I noticed now that she began to move slightly and get her head out of the shell.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Kirkie
Adult

Didn't know anything about maxitrol but it appears to be anti bacterial and anti inflammatory so could help. I would be cautious and use a single drop per eye to see if improves things. As Danny has said puffy sore eyes could be a Vitamin A issue. You could try a drop of cod liver oil (capsule form if available its purer) rubbed into each eye. There are doubts over whether this boosts vitamin A absorbtion but I've used it on a box turtle sucessfully.

The staying on dry land is a big concern and does sound like a respiratory issue.

In the absence of vetinary attention you need to keep the turtle warm and keep the water crystal clean. If you can get it in natural sunlight (but with the option of getting out of it) it will all help recovery.

There is a DIY treatment for upper respiratory infections but it would depend on the availability of a reptile product called F10 SSC which is a vetinary disinfectant where you are (available online). I've used this method on a map turtle sucessfully.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Upping the temperature to between 30C and 32C day and night will also help the turtle fight an infection.

Danny
Old 09-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
amaksoud
Egg

thanks once again for the replies.

@Kirkie, today i noticed that she's slightly moving and getting her head out of the shell and standing partially in water.

I also can see that the puff is less than before.

Here's a pic of her before using maxitrol, the pic is not that clear though.

Can you confirm the diagnosis ?

@Dan, Thanks I did raise the temp to 30C.

I'll try to post another pic soon, after using maxitol for 3 days (once per day).
Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #8
Kirkie
Adult

It's still hard to say, the symptoms present in various situations. That is a very young turtle, it would help to know the history, how long you've had it, how is it being kept. Temperatures, access to UV light or sunlight, is the water filtered etc. also need to know what the sliders been fed on.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #9
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Those 2 dark spots on each side of the carapace (between the marginal and coastal scutes (towards the back)) is the start of some shell rot.

Danny
Old 10-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
amaksoud
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
It's still hard to say, the symptoms present in various situations. That is a very young turtle, it would help to know the history, how long you've had it, how is it being kept. Temperatures, access to UV light or sunlight, is the water filtered etc. also need to know what the sliders been fed on.
Well, I only bought it less than 3 weeks ago.
I keep her in a small tank that's equipped with a water filter and heater. Temp is kept on 27C and lately on 30C as per Dan's advise.
Initially when I bought her, it was kept in a small island style container and at that point I used to expose her to direct sunlight daily for a couple of hours.
A few days later I bought the tank and moved her, since that time she's never exposed to sunlight and I'm struggling to get a suitable reptile lamp.

I keep the water filter on 24/7 and change water every 2 or 3 days.

I used to feed her only on floating food sticks and lately I have been offering her cucumber and lettuce, she accepted cucumber but not lettuce and was planning to get her some dried shrimps but she hadn't eat for the past 3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
Those 2 dark spots on each side of the carapace (between the marginal and coastal scutes (towards the back)) is the start of some shell rot.

Danny
Okay, what to do wiz that ?