Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 26-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
badger28
Egg

Default new setup

Morning,

Having recently moved home I have decided I would like a turtle. Having previously owned a tortoise years ago, I have a bit of experience. But since reading up of the topic for a few weeks it seems not enough!

So I thought I could pick your brains.
We have a good little aquatics shop by us (ibstock) which I will buy my tank from. However I need some advice on which tank.

It seems that a musk turtle would be best as they are a beginners turtle and stay reasonably small. And they have an interesting temperament! Or would a yellow bellied turtle be similar?

I was thinking about either the viaaqua AR620 or the aquastart 510.

http://www.fishtanks4u.co.uk/index.p...mage_id=447875

Any opinions or assistance?

Thanks,
Nick
badger28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
harwood09
Hatched

Hi,

Just had a look at your dimensions of those tanks
aquastart 510 - 51W x 34D x 54H cm
ViaAqua AR 620 - 62w x 52h x 39d cm

That then means the aquastart 510 would give 1.87ft^2 of floor space and the ViaAqua AR 620 would give roughly 2.7ft^2 of floor space. So you may be able to keep one young musk in the ViaAqua however I doubt it for long. Musk turtles are the type of turtle you would call a bottom walker and so floor space is very important to them. They can swim just not the same as cooters and sliders hence why I didn't bother with taking into account the height as they aren't liable to use much of it.

On your question of whether a YBS would be just as interesting yes they could be but they won't go in a tank that size for long and then they can get very large.

Hope thats of help
Old 26-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
badger28
Egg

Very useful thanks!

So I need to rethink the size of the tank? Or at least the shape of it. A longer tank is better than height. Good job I checked!

Juwel rio 125 more like it?

May have to investigate a bit further before I purchase! What sort of tank would be best for a cootie?
badger28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

As above regarding the tank. Usually you reckon on 40 litres per inch for the first turtle (and 20 litres per inch for the second +), so those work out fairly small tanks, and expensive. Ebay, Freecycle and car boots are good for tanks as you can often get large ones very cheap. A turtle tank should not have a lid - Pets @ Home do the Clearseal range (or they did) and sold the 4' for about £50, as the lid is extra as is the stand.

An external filter is necessary - Eheims are very good. Zooplus offer a 10% first order discount, and the spares are readily available.

Heaters are only really needed for hatclings/juveniles, but uvb lights, and a basking light and dock are needed - although Musks don't always bask, but should be offered the opportunity.

Musks are appealing as they don't grow too large - female Sliders and Cooters can reach 12"+ and need an outdoor pond or a very large tank/indoor pond. They can't be sexed when young, and if buying 2, it can lead to them being separated, as 2 males won't necessarily get on and a male will pester a female.

That said they are interesting creatures (we have 16 various ones, 14 of which are rehomers) and they do become addictive! They are relatively cheap to purchase, but it is the setups that cost a fair amount, plus running costs, especially over the winter months, which in a way is good as it can act as a deterrent.

Have you thought about rehoming any? They are often advertised on forums, rescue centres etc? Hope I've been of some help, do let me know if you have any other questions!
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote