Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 12-07-2016, 10:59 PM   #1
Rylatts
Egg

Exclamation Tortoise isn't eating!

Hello everyone,

I have a spur-thighed tortoise that was hatched in august 2015, his name in Sheldon (Original i know )

Recently Sheldon hasn't been eating his food, also unless woken he doesn't wake up.
I haven't seen him poo in a while also, at least a week. same with urates.

He has lots nearly 10g which is very worrying!
I bath him daily with added Reptoboost, he gets fed weeds from the garden and also weeds that i have grown.
Recently i changed his enclosure and build my own one, he used to live in a vivarium (New home below)

He used to have wood chip as his substrate which was changed as i didn't think it was good for him, he now has "Tortoise life" as it was new i fear he ingested some of it.
At the basking end of the enclosure the temps are 30 Degrees c and at the opposite end it is 20-25 Degrees C.
I also have a cuttlefish in the enclosure for him to attack, and have a calcium supplement that i put on his food from time to time. Also as you can see there is a UV tube in his enclosure, also there is a heat mat in his home which is set to turn on when it drops below 19 Degrees C.

I think that's about it, if anyone has any other questions please ask as i'm starting to get worried

I'm thinking about making an appointment to see the vets soon!​
Rylatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 12:18 AM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

I'm afraid the photos aren't showing but I'd recommend getting him off the tortoise life and onto sterilised topsoil. You need to increase his basking temperature to 32-34 degrees.
He needs calcium on his food more often. I use limestone flour 5 days a week and nutrobal twice, so supplements every day.
He needs warmth and light to wake up and eat and the warmth is important to aid digestion. Time outside this time of year is beneficial. Does he have an outdoor enclosure?

I'd also possibly consider running a wormcount on him. www.wormcount.com are great for turning results around quickly.

Good luck with Sheldon. A few tweaks there and there may make all the difference.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 08:11 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylatts View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a spur-thighed tortoise that was hatched in august 2015, his name in Sheldon (Original i know )

Recently Sheldon hasn't been eating his food, also unless woken he doesn't wake up.
I haven't seen him poo in a while also, at least a week. same with urates.

He has lots nearly 10g which is very worrying!
I bath him daily with added Reptoboost, he gets fed weeds from the garden and also weeds that i have grown.
Recently i changed his enclosure and build my own one, he used to live in a vivarium (New home below)

He used to have wood chip as his substrate which was changed as i didn't think it was good for him, he now has "Tortoise life" as it was new i fear he ingested some of it.
At the basking end of the enclosure the temps are 30 Degrees c and at the opposite end it is 20-25 Degrees C.
I also have a cuttlefish in the enclosure for him to attack, and have a calcium supplement that i put on his food from time to time. Also as you can see there is a UV tube in his enclosure, also there is a heat mat in his home which is set to turn on when it drops below 19 Degrees C.

I think that's about it, if anyone has any other questions please ask as i'm starting to get worried

I'm thinking about making an appointment to see the vets soon!​

How long has he been in his new home?
As it can take them time to adjust to new surroundings.
The temps under the heat is. Little on the low side, it needs to be more like 32c.
Far better your tortoise be on soil as its there natural substrate.
If you are really worried then always get your tortoise to a reputable tortoise vet:0)
Heat mats are not needed with med or horsfield tortoises:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
JerryMaffz
Incubating

You say you have a heat mat set to a thermostat and a UV Tube.
Perhaps your tortoise isn't getting enough heat to digest it's food.
I would ditch both and invest in a combined heat/UV lamp, though you could run a heat only lamp alongside the UV tube. The heat lamp should be set at a height so that you get a reading of around 32deg at tort level. I leave my lamp on for around 10 hours a day.
Another possibility for the weight loss/ lack of appetite could be an internal blockage. I would think that the wood chip may be the obvious cause of this. Though this is less likely with the high fibre diet described, it is worth checking out.

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
burnt toast
Adult

Tortoise life is notorious for causing blockages unfortunately If you try the other suggestions and have no joy I would get him to a good tort vet for investigation.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #6
Rylatts
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMaffz View Post
You say you have a heat mat set to a thermostat and a UV Tube.
Perhaps your tortoise isn't getting enough heat to digest it's food.
I would ditch both and invest in a combined heat/UV lamp, though you could run a heat only lamp alongside the UV tube. The heat lamp should be set at a height so that you get a reading of around 32deg at tort level. I leave my lamp on for around 10 hours a day.
Another possibility for the weight loss/ lack of appetite could be an internal blockage. I would think that the wood chip may be the obvious cause of this. Though this is less likely with the high fibre diet described, it is worth checking out.
Sorry i don't think i put it across the right way at the basking side of his enclosure he has a lamp there already if it is a blockage i think the cause would be his new substrate as he was fine on the other one eating as normal, its not until i use the new tortoise life substrate that he has gone off his food i have made an appointment with the vets this Friday, hopefully everything gets sorted! so worried
Old 13-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

I think if he has ingested it will be too late and you would know by now so try not to worry too much but ditch the substrate as others have said even if he is paper for a day or two that wont matter. Ditch the heat mat they are dangerous - torts can't thermo regulate with a heat mat and it can cause shell damage. I would say this is likely cause of him not eating. They must cool down also so no heat in one end at all if indoors. Natural cool down is an absolute must. other wise cant thermo regulate....Good luck and welcome to the forum. Don't be disheartened either it can take time for you and them to settle ! Oh and you must rinse well after reptoboost - organisms build up and can cause all sorts of bacterial or fungal or respiratory infections...little lice y bitey things also as its basically a food source ! CB
Old 18-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #8
Rylatts
Egg

Sheldon seems to be eating a little bit more now and isn't loosing weight, the vet phoned me and said that if there isn't any change bring him in. As there has been change i have decided for now to leave the trip to the vets, his substrate has been changed back to woodchip which was the one he was used to, i will be searching for a new substrate to use though!

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 21-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #9
Jan W
Sub Adult

Glad to hear the update.
Old 22-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #10
burnt toast
Adult

Id try top soil. I have two females kept on woodchip who just swim on the floor No muscle tone in back legs.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eating, food, tortoise