Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Ask The Experts > Identification/Sexing.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
mather
Egg

Oh ye silly me. It was the 1st of september and the 10th of september. And thank you for the info on the temp. The eggs from the 1st have got pink lines that go to a pinkish object inside the egg. And the eggs from the 10th also show dark spot on them. Also I may sell him do you have any idea of tge price i should ask for him?
mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mather View Post
It happened by accident they were in seperate parts of the garden but they still got to each other. I am thinking of selling him what do you think is a good price to ask for him?
Unfortunately you can't sell him without the relevant paperwork. You can rehome him or gift him, or if I was you, keep him.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #13
mather
Egg

My mother might have the paper work for him . If she has what should i sell him for and if she has not how do i get more paper work or how do i register him.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #14
burnt toast
Adult

I get the feeling this may be a wind up....
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #15
mather
Egg

This is not a wind up atall . Why would you say that
Old 06-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #16
burnt toast
Adult

Fancy asking how long he will live for! Seems strange you happen to have two other species but don't know enough to keep them separate & you just happen to have an incubator & don't know about A10's. That's all
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #17
Suze65
Adult

I don't know how your mother will have any paper work for a tortoise that age, they didn't used to come with paper work. He looks exactly like my very old male THB, I would agree with Dan, he's probaly 80+. I doubt you will get paper work for him, so you can't sell him. I do think it's irrisposable to let them cross breed and then incubate the eggs. And without paper work you can't sell any babies either.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #18
mather
Egg

Hello
I only registered to this website 2 days ago and all i have got it remarks about cross breeding i dont think i need to be lectured from everyone that writes on here but everyone needs to remember that to get all of the different species of tortoise in the world there must of been cross breeding in the wild and also can everyone who has given me a lecture on here be 100% sure that no tortoise in the wild has never come across a different tortoise in the wild? I dont think you can . Also every animal cross breeds unless you all can prove that every animal on this planet has never cross bred if not then you can all shut up because none of you know what your talking about. Also i have spoken to some of the most respected herpotologists in the world and they have said cross breeding is natural . Just because you all keep reptiles dont mean you have all the wisdom in the world. No wait one of you might be right if your friends with noah and have visited the ark but wait if that was true there was only 2 of each animal so the animals must of cross bred and also interbred with there own siblings so sorry none of you no what your talking about.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #19
emma_mcraf
Adult

I completely agree that different species will meet and cross-breed in the wild. A male tortoise won't care about the species, he'll just want to mate!
However, there are many reasons why tortoise owners would not mix species. One reason is that they have different shells and a rampant male could damage a female with his aggressive mating. Another reason is the pathogens that different species carry and is a reason why most tortoise owners quarantine new tortoises, even if they are from the same sub-species. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if pathogens carry across between different species, but I know it's a risk I wouldn't take.
Also people want to keep their sub-species as pure as possible. Cross-breeds happen but they aren't necessarily ideal. I know there are many more knowledgeable people on this forum than I am, but I'm not sure whether cross-breeds would carry a much greater risk of deformities.
If you still feel that you don't want to keep your male hermanns, you could rehome him through organisations such as the TPG or even on reptile and tortoise forums like Shelled Warriors. There are many caring tortoise owners who would offer him a forever home in his old age, but without the relevant paperwork it would be illegal to sell him.

It's a shame that you feel so defensive about the advice people have offered you on here. Everyone is well-meaning and no one claims to know it all. I'm still learning! There are however some very experienced and well-read tortoise keepers here and the advice you are offered will usually be excellent.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #20
mather
Egg

Looking at selling my collection of torts and would like advice on how much there worth.
2 x sulcata 18 months old
2X marginated females 12 years
1X horsefield female 12 years
1X male horsefield 8 years
3X hermans 3 years
1X male hermans between 80 and 95 years

What would be a sensible price for job lot

Tags
age, identify, sex