Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 20-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Bolly16
Egg

Default How do I care for a Tortoise?

Hey im Thinking of Getting a spur Thighed tortoise , Ive managed to get a good idea of The food it will need. I found out it will need a table, Is it ok to leave the table outside, Obviously it would be protected at the top with a mesh type thing, I know that it needs somewhere dry to stay so if we built it an accessible house inside the table would it be ok, would it be to cold?

I heard they need certain Soil or sand Whys that?
Do they have to have to be kept in certain temperatures?
Whats an artical 10?
Also do they have to have lighting and stuff?

Please give as much advice as you can, If im wrong in any points Ive made Please correct me!

Im tottaly new to tortoises so im not going to get one untill im tottaly sure of everything it needs and how to look after one so I dont give it any health Risks. Any advice will be helpfull, Thanks x
Bolly16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
Bolly16
Egg

Hey I did a little more deeper research and Ive decided That when i get one i shall keep it Indoors as its to cold for it to live outside because (correct me if im wrong) They need to be around 35 degrees C OR 95 degrees F.

I was also looking at the size of the tables and I decided i might Get a big Rabbit/Hamster cage instead of trying to build a table as i will have nowhere to put it!

If i got a Cage and i had all the Degrees set correctly and it had food and water, I go to school and im there about 6 somtimes 7 hours a day, Will My tort be ok left in a cage for that long without any attention

Also I dont want my dog trying to sniff him and end up knocking of the light's or something So i would have to push it under the bed, It's darker but with the Lights on will it be ok?

Also can anyone explain what an article 10 is

Thanks x
Old 20-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
yuna1971
Adult

Hi Bolly. Welcome to SW.
I would suggest (IMO) going for a Hermanns, Ibera or a Horsefield.
I will be babbling a bit here, so bear with me. I may ask for confirmation on things. So see what others say.
Firstly I would say buy your tortoise from a reputable breeder, there is a list somewhere on this site. I am not a great lover of pet shops, they tend to give bad advice ..having said that not ALL can be like this. But I think a breeder is the best way forward.

Housing - for the species above IMO I would go for a tortoise table. Any of the species above will be fine with this sort of housing. Something like a 4/5ft x 2ft table...maybe a little smaller but be prepared to "upgrade" to a larger table if they start to grow.

You will need to line the table with something like tarpaulin to protect the table (usually they are wood) from moisture damaging it. Use a staple gun to fix the tarpaulin to the table. It needs to partially cover a bit of the sides.

Substrate - I would go with either sterilised topsoil/sand or just topsoil. For sand/topsoil - approx 70%/30% ratio. Sand however with some, may irritate the torts eyes. I have just topsoil in mine. And it works fine. Spread this all over the inside, on the lining.
Depth - may need confirmation here. 6/7 inches...maybe a little deeper for Horsefield torts as they like to dig, so like a deep substrate.

Lighting - IMO, I recommend a combined UV/Heat bulb. UV and heat are the most important things for a tortoise, as well as a good diet.
This one below is what I have and many other owners. The reviews from people are very good. With all the links - you might want to shop about for better prices. I use this supplier as his delivery is very very fast. And he has never let me down, his advice on the products he sells is also excellent.

Combined UV/heat bulb:
http://reptilekeeping.co.uk/arcadia-...27-p-4363.html

For this bulb, you will need to suspend it on a stand. Again, shop about. But the stand needs to be the STANDARD/Deluxe stand.
http://reptilekeeping.co.uk/zoo-med-...20-p-1056.html
You also need a holder to screw the bulb into. This holder will take the wattage of the bulb and you just hook it on the stand!
http://reptilekeeping.co.uk/zoo-med-...or-p-1829.html
Put some stones around the basking spot as it is dangerous for a tort to topple onto his back.

The cool end should house his sleeping area. Some tort tables have built in hides (these have lids that you put on, take off) some dont. If the table you buy doesnt. Some people use half ceramic pots, or habba huts made of wood.
Here is a habba hut:
http://reptilekeeping.co.uk/zoo-med-...ge-p-1141.html
They come in lots of sizes to suit.
Also you will need to put a water dish inside the enclosure...however, this will depend on how big/old your tort is wen you first get it. It needs to be very shallow for a young tort, and some owners put little stones inside the dish so that the tort can easily climb in and out.
Well I hope this helps a bit.

With the diet/food - you can start another post and we can cover things to feed and not to feed. Mostly it should be weed based, however there are other choices of diet to choose from.

**Be aware that with UV/Heat combined bulbs, you must follow the height restrictions. There is a min height. And a max. It must point vertically downwards and NOT at an angle. There will be instructions either in the box, or on the box. These must be followed.
The bulbs come with a 6 month warranty. The one above, is 12months. This means if it blows within the warranty - withh proof of purchase, you can replace you bulb - no questions asked.**

See what others say. These are just my thoughts - others may do things differently. Take in as much as you can and you will be fine...in due time.
When you get your tort - BE prepared. He might act very timid, nervous...sleep alot and not be very active. This is NORMAL. He will take some time to settle in with you. Torts do not like change so he will feel this way for a bit. Persevere...you will both be fine.
xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
yuna1971
Adult

**hope someone can confirm the depth of substrate** I always forget this...lol

Lily's Movie.
Old 20-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #5
yuna1971
Adult

The Article 10 is what you need once you buy your tortoise. I dont think that Horsefields need an Article 10 but the other breeds do.

Lights to be on early in the morning. Use timers. EG - on 6am - off: 8pm

**Also you will need a digital thermometer!!! Very very important. Dont bother with the round face mechanical ones - rubbish and hard to read as well as not being accurate.
The website i mentioned above sells them, as does the SW Shop**

Enclosure can be dressed up - plants can be put in, spider plants are fine. Crushed Oystershell around the basking spot - (this is sold in the SW shop). Make mounds, dips - make it interesting for him to explore. Try not to leave it flat with nothing in there.
Have a look at the Indoor Enclosure thread to get ideas. In the housing section.

xx

Lily's Movie.
Old 20-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
Bolly16
Egg

ok thanks so much for all your advice its really helped and i have a much better idea of the stuff ill need x
Old 20-05-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
yuna1971
Adult

Heres a link to Secret Garden Woodcraft who make tortoise tables.
I am pleased to say, that the owner (I think) is a member of this forum!!

http://www.secretgardenwoodcraft.com...s/procart2.htm

People have bought items from here and the finish and standard is excellent. xx

Lily's Movie.
Old 21-05-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
Terriandlola

Depth id say for babies needs to be about 4 inch but for Horsfields about 6 inch for the digging

Rach that post must of took you all night!! Good advice! X
Old 21-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
Pussygalore
Adult

I think putting the table under the bed would be a real fire hazard and everything would probably get far to hot, for a start if you are going to use a combined bulb (both heat and light) they need a good supply of air around them. Any bulb is going to get hot and the combined even more so all it would need is for a bit of sheet to touch it and you'd not have a tort or a house. You need to find somewhere high up rather than low down and if you have a dog then the dog will need to be shut out of the room if your not there. Dogs love a chew on a tort and the tort may have a shell but its no protection against teeth. As for putting your tort outside the sun on a nice day will be more than sufficient, torts get their heat from a direct source, inside it has to be artificial ie a bulb but outside they will soon warm from the sun, in fact many owners think they will sunbath all the time but the tort needs to be able to move in the sun and then the shade, this is the only way it can regulate its temp. This applies both in and out which is why a cool end as well as a hot area is needed.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Don't know how much space you have between the floor and your bed, but mine is approx 12" - that is not enough to have table/enclosure and the correct light height etc, especially if the enclosure is on wheels so you can pull it in and out easily.

It would be stuffy, dusty etc shoved under the bed. They do need outside space as well during the warmer months.

Maybe time for a rethink on the tortoise front?
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, enclosure, food, wheretokeepit