Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 07-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Phil76
Egg

Default Yes or no...etc

I know this is probably the most tedious question on earth, but it's one that I have no definitive answer for, and I cannot find one on the net, so here goes.

When I first got my tort (herman) I was told that hibernation was essential, full stop.

When I took him to the vet for a routine check the vet said that captive torts in the UK do need to be hibernated.

On various forums I have seen some say yes and some say no.

Is there anyone on here who has a herman who has never hibernated it and if so how is the tort (age,activity etc.)?

Thanks in advance

PS. I don't want any advice on hibernation or anything, just stone cold facts from people who have hands on experiance. For the record Oscar is healthy, on weight and super strong
Phil76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Phil76
Egg

Sorry, that should have been:

When I took him to the vet for a routine check the vet said that captive torts in the UK do NOT need to be hibernated.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
swad1000
Adult

You're not going to find stone cold facts, as it is all based on personal opinion.

Some will say you need to hibernate others will say you don't have too.

To get stone cold facts, you will need to find someone or group that has had a large number of tortoises some of which have been hibernated for the last 100 years, and some which have not been hibernated for the last 100 years.

Then compare the health, fertility and longevity of the two groups.

The only fact I can offer you is no such study has ever been conducted.

So all you can do is ask for peoples opinions, and make your own mind up.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Phil76
Egg

Thanks Swad,

that's what I'm looking for, someone who has a/numberous healthy Herman Tort(s) who has never hibernated...there must be someone out there, even with torts that are 10,15,20 years old...

Thanks again
Old 07-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
Mrs Frog
Adult

I have 4 hermanns,one was hibernated before I got her,and last year I overwintered the other 3,I didnt think they were happy being kept awake,this year they are being hibernated as they look like thats what they want to do,it was like they knew what to do,and I feel they will be happier having a nice long sleep,my opinion is that if they are healthy and you follow the advice given then your tortoise will do well.I have bought my torts their own fridge as I feel that I can contol the temps better
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

mine are 3yo and I didn't hibernate them last year or this year
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
alice_boots
Incubating

My Hermanns is 8 years old and has never been hibernated (due to being underweight last year and miss-information the years before)

He is perfectly healthy, and I'm sure that torts can never be hibernated and be healthy, but I like to keep my tortoises life as natural as possible, so would like to hibernate next year.

I know that it is a worrying thing, to hibernate, but it is most natural for them and they seem happier when they are being hibernated.

Alice

1 Hermanns tortoise (Herman)
1 Newfoundland dog (Indy)
3 cats (Jack, Freddie, Bobby)
3 chickens (Dolly, Penny, Mabel)
1 hamster (Tristan)
alice_boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
tartaruga amore
Sub Adult

i have had tortoises for getting on 30 years, my oldest a spur is 70, my next oldest is in his 30's [ also a spur }
i never hibernate them, they are happy/healthy

i do have a group of hermans, that i have never hibernated, i have only had these a few years, and apart from one female that i was given late summer this year, all are happy/healthy

you may want to look into other animals that can hibernate, and the reasons why they do
tartaruga amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
EJ
Adult

Please don't mislead the OP... there are stone cold facts... reference the Testudo group, RES, Desert tortoises... many more. As I've said many times before... they only 'hibernate' if conditions drop to poor levels for survival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swad1000 View Post
You're not going to find stone cold facts, as it is all based on personal opinion.

Some will say you need to hibernate others will say you don't have too.

To get stone cold facts, you will need to find someone or group that has had a large number of tortoises some of which have been hibernated for the last 100 years, and some which have not been hibernated for the last 100 years.

Then compare the health, fertility and longevity of the two groups.

The only fact I can offer you is no such study has ever been conducted.

So all you can do is ask for peoples opinions, and make your own mind up.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
EJ
Adult

I recieved 2 hermans back about 14 years ago as adults. They were never hibernated their entire lives. You can find many stories like this.

I don't think anyone can prove that hibernation either improved or extended the life of their animals.

On the other hand I know you can pull posts from the archives that their tortoise either died in hibernation or shortly there after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil76 View Post
Thanks Swad,

that's what I'm looking for, someone who has a/numberous healthy Herman Tort(s) who has never hibernated...there must be someone out there, even with torts that are 10,15,20 years old...

Thanks again
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
essential, herman, hibernaiton, winter