Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 14-12-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
rickyrascal
Egg

Smile Herman Habitat Help Please?

Hey Everyone , This is my first post on the Forums.. Ive got a 2yr old Herman Tort coming at the end of the week so me and my girlfriend decided to build it a home.

We did some reserch beforehand and will be improving it by adding plants for it but I would just like some advice , I used Sand / Compost / Reptile Bedding and added some Grass Seeds to grow some grass for it.

I was wondering if everything in this setup is ok/safe for the Tort as i couldnt find much about using Compost instead of Soil and im a little worried Compost might be too moist or just bad for the Herman.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

rickyrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
Paulg1
Adult

From what I see most looks good. I haven't heard bad things about compost but I do wonder about the microbs if they would be bad or not. The only other thing I see that is a potential problem is the straight sand. I would highly suggest either mixing it with soil or removing it. If he feeds in the sand it could cause problems with his digesive system.

"Stop the world, I want to get off!"
Paulg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
terrypin
Adult

hi i agree with Paul remove the sand and replace with aspen or hemp as your dry area also the hide could be filled with ready grass/graze-on instead of whatever that is.a feeding slate is a must so no substrate is ingested while eating, also one under the basking spot.a bowl of water should be available at all times large enough for a soak.congratulations on a wise choice hermans are marvellous tortoises i am over run with them and wouldnt change it for the world.
terry
Old 15-12-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
sandy
Adult

Also one of the logs seems from the picture to be very close to the edge of the enclosure. Which your new tortoise will find interesting to climb, but could actually climb out of the enclosure I could be wrong as pictures can be decieving, but anything high they can climb they will and will try to get out of the enclosure if they can The pot can be climbed too.
Other than that a well thought out enclosure, well done.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
Paulg1
Adult

This is what I love so much about this site and these people. I look at something and see part of the picture. Then others come along and pick up what I miss. Which is a very good thing. Combined effort to help. Love it!

"Stop the world, I want to get off!"
Paulg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
Sylvia1
Adult

Hi & welcome What kind of heating/lighting will you be using?

3 hermanns, 2 leopards, 2 german shepherds, 5 cats, 3 tropical tanks
Sylvia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 12:26 AM   #7
rickyrascal
Egg

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the tips , will mix the sand with compost asap , Just thought it looked nice and would be good for it to bury in.

Im waiting for a tort bath and feeding bowl to be delivered ..

I didnt realise torts were able to climb over anything that big , now im worried that the walls of the enclosure are to low *Yikes*.

The Enclosure itself is 31"x38"

As for heating. a UVB lamp a spot lamp.

Not to sure about the heating but the guy at the pet shop said this was what I would need.

Once again advice is appreciated

Last edited by rickyrascal; 16-12-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 16-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
sandy
Adult

If I am honest, that was my first reaction, that the sides were too low, but didnt want to be too critical, as it does put keepers off. Even small tortoises ( from hatching) will climb logs, pieces of wood etc from day one. And are avid climbers outside too. You will find where theres a will theres a way for tortoises

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
rickyrascal
Egg

Dam thats a big problem haha , I suppose i can remove alot of the soil/sand as at the moment the layers are quite deep. That would give a bit more height , eventually I figure il have to extend the walls.
Old 17-12-2008, 12:18 AM   #10
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Ricky I reckon you can just move the taller things to the middle and away from the edge of your table and then watch to see. You might consider small caps over the corners as climbing up corners is a speciality. You've made a lot of effort and I think you have a nice table there.

I'd suggest making one area more humid to provide that option. Not everyone agrees its essential but I think it should be offered.

If you want to grow grass you might consider doing this is in a container separately and placing the container in the table once you have established it. Otherwise your tort will probably just plough up the area. They just are not tidy creatures! But the plants and the moist growing medium is great for humidity once its in place.

Tags
food, herman, homes, tortoise