Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Where to Buy and Bargains

Old 11-04-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
pawsplus
Hatched

Default New coldframe

It arrived yesterday and it's perfect! I got this one from Ebay:

Cold frame

I figured out a great way to lift it up off the ground enough for Beas to get in, w/out the risk that she might knock it off and either trap herself inside or get hurt -- I'll post pix once I get that done. I think it's going to be great!

How much do you guys find that the temp is raised inside a cold frame? I.e., if it's sunny and 60F outside, how warm will it likely be in the coldframe?

I will set up my min/max thermometer to keep track of temps inside and outside the coldframe once it's set up, but I wondered how much of a temp boost I can expect.
pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
aprillinda

today in the uk outside it was 18c inside the greenhouse it was 32c with door closed dropped to 29c with door open

so you can expect quite a boost
Old 11-04-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
pawsplus
Hatched

Great! That will make a huge difference -- given the tropical nature of redfoots and the fact that I work far from my home, I'm cautious about leaving Beas out in weather that would be just fine if she had a place to warm up. Thanks so much for the coldframe idea, you guys! I guess it's a British thing b/c I've never seen US tort keepers mention them. It's great to learn from the special things you guys have learned to allow torts to live in your climate!

I'll post pix when I've got it set up. It's cold and raining today so Beas is NOT out and I won't be able to get anything done today, alas.
Old 13-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
pawsplus
Hatched

As I mentioned in my other enclosure thread, I got the new coldframe up the other day:

Left Beasley out yesterday, but it never got above 55F (!!!) in the pen and only to 58F in the coldframe. Returned home to a little tortsicle, huddled in her little house (not the coldframe). Took her in, gave her a warm soak and put her under her basking lamp and she's fine, but she's not out today! I think it will just have to warm up a bit more before I risk it. The coldframe should warm up nicely once the ambient temp is a little higher.
Old 13-04-2007, 09:56 PM   #5
fi_fi
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to fi_fi

what the hell is that nasty link in the post above!!!!
Old 14-04-2007, 12:15 AM   #6
KayMarie
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to KayMarie

I think thats abrillaint coldframe and i like the way you have lifted it off the ground, it will keep the heat in and Beasley can go in and out when he pleases I'l be looking at buying that one for myself, probably cheaper then buying one here WITH shipping and i like the way it opens at the top, get some nice airflow through if you needed too
KayMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 02:19 AM   #7
aprillinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi_fi
what the hell is that nasty link in the post above!!!!
fi we have an idiot posting on the forum

eiher a real idiot or a computer idiot

it will be sorted

sorry if this link caused embarresment