Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 17-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
Levi
Hatched

I kept Honey Bees for a few years and I don't even like honey. I reluctantly gave them away to a better equipped bee keeper when I found my first varroa mites.

Fascinating creatures I loved watching them and they loved attacking me if I got too close with the lawn mower.

Nowadays Dotty and I rescue cold wet Bumblebees by giving them a warmup under a heat lamp and if that doesn't do the trick we give them a drink.

We also have lots of their favourite Red Clover growing in the garden.

Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
shelmarie
Hatchling

Are you sure they are honey bees? How many have you seen? If it's just one bee at a time it may be a masonry bee, they are solitary so wouldn't be a problem.[/quote]

Yes they're defiently honey bees as the council have been out and had a look. They gave us the number of a local bee keeper but when he came to look he said there's nothing he can do. It's not a solitary bee its an entire swarm.

They're on the side of my house near my drive so i have to run a gauntlet just to get out of the car everyday.

The only other suggestion was to pour in ant powder and fill the hole, but i'd feel awful doing this.
Old 17-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
It has a steel liner in it for the boiler, so i quess the bees are inbetween that and the brickwork.
This may seem ok as long as the nest is not blocking the vent to the boiler, Carbon monoxide testing on a regular basis would be a must for safety.
Old 17-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
Levi
Hatched

Our Domestic Honey Bees don't tend to be that aggressive/defensive. They hate loud noises/vibrations lawn mowers for example, but if you are a few metres away they should totally ignore you. If they are swarming they are generally completely harmless, they have better things to be getting on with and nothing to defend.
If you can't live with them then you're going to have to block the hole up sooner or later. On the plus side they aren't actually "wild", Honey Bees are domesticated and they swarm all to often much to the annoyance of their owners.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
natty
Egg

i dont know how its done but there are beekeepers who do remove live hives so maybe you could try contacting a different beekeeper to get a second opinion.
bees are fascinating i had an incident with a bees nest a few years ago.

my old greyhound was very ill and had no balance, he kept falling over and ending up with his feet in the air he couldnt walk at all so i tried to get him down the garden to put him in the dog run on the lawn so he was less likely to hurt himself , it took ages to get him down there and i badly needed to pee so i laid him down and went to run into the house. the only thing in the run was a small wooden guinie pig hutch and typically he decided to try and stand and fell on his head with his behind on top of the hutch . he was a very heavy dog and very gangly so it was a major effort to move him so i decided to try and slide the hutch out from underneath him i moved it and laid him flat on the grass and all of a sudden both him and me were covered in bees from head to toe in our ears and eyes every where . it was incredibly scarey but amazingly despite me just having completly destroyed there nest neither me or my old dog got a single sting . i was very surprised but also very greatfull.

so running the gauntlet might be less dangerous than you think .
natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
shelmarie
Hatchling

so running the gauntlet might be less dangerous than you think .[/quote]

i'm not as bothere about myself but slightly concerned for my cat, and they are very close to my toilet window which now means i cant open it without them coming into the house

i may just wait until the weather really cools down and then block the hole up and hope none the poor litlle mites are stuck inside.
Old 18-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #17
Beverley
Adult

I recently discovered a wasp nest they must be in a gap above my front porch !! So far they have stayed out of the house and not been a bother. I wonder would they survive the winter or move on. I wish they would as I don't like killing anything.
Old 18-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #18
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
I recently discovered a wasp nest they must be in a gap above my front porch !! So far they have stayed out of the house and not been a bother. I wonder would they survive the winter or move on. I wish they would as I don't like killing anything.
This tells what goes on through the year with Wasp's
http://www.trapawasp.co.uk/about_wasps.htm
Old 19-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #19
Beverley
Adult

Thanks Paul, a very useful site think I may have to get rid of them before the stinging begins