Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 03-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #11
Beverley
Adult

Well, I think basically I paid £120 for very little, a blood test, which I asked for !! I mentioned the green urine, asked about levels of Protazoa, but got little response. He wormed him and gave him some critcal care and of course the usual vitamins and I got a small tub home with me.
Its really a waiting game now to see what the test shows and how to move forward from that. I told him how I thought he was considerably underweight and rarely opens his eyes but no response either.
On a positive note today he did eat a teeny bit of butternut squash, thats all I can get into him, he seems to have trouble eating, I have a feeling his jaw is weak.
This is going to be a long road but its a road I am going to travel, to try, if I can and turn around a lot of bad care.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
EJ
Adult

If you have flagyl(metronidozole) use 25mg/kg daily until you can get it to a vet. You really need to get it to a vet.

Did you mention a consult with Dr. Divers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
I was just wondering is this usually administered by injection and how long would treatment take. I am going to ring the vet tomorrow so I want to be prepared,
The roads here are so bad at the moment that taking pepper the Chaco up may not be possible for a day or two.
On the bright side he is a little brighter and has started to eat a teeny bit of food and has went up from 312g to 330g. This may be the regular baths in Reptiboost as well.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #13
Beverley
Adult

Yes Ed, I did mention Steve Divers but he didn't really take me on. He didn't give Pepper Flagyl maybe he is waiting to see what the blood test tells him.
It's very hard to go into the vet for Belfast zoo and tell him what to do as I am not trained. But I wanted to say this tortoise needs Flagyl and a feeding tube put in
So does anyone know would high levels of protazoa show up in a blood test and can I get this flagyl at any vets and finally how much would I give a tortoise that only weighs 300g
I am frightened to put a tube down his throat in case it goes into his lungs or hurts him. I am really getting out of my depth here. Thank goodness everybody else is healthy.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #14
joanna
Adult

Bev hopefully the results will show which direction to go in. I can't help with the questions but if a feeding tube is needed I'm sure it will be fine to insert in a tort that size. Good luck and keep us updated.
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #15
EJ
Adult

Flagyl is for protozoa... a fecal or stomach wash would give results for flagyl. You don't tell a vet... you offer suggestions. You might be trained but you have access to the net and many experienced keepers... it's called communication and if the vet is a younger vet they should have a clue... if it is an older vet... they should get a clue.

Protozoa would not normally show up in the blood.

Stress contacting Dr. Divers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
Yes Ed, I did mention Steve Divers but he didn't really take me on. He didn't give Pepper Flagyl maybe he is waiting to see what the blood test tells him.
It's very hard to go into the vet for Belfast zoo and tell him what to do as I am not trained. But I wanted to say this tortoise needs Flagyl and a feeding tube put in
So does anyone know would high levels of protazoa show up in a blood test and can I get this flagyl at any vets and finally how much would I give a tortoise that only weighs 300g
I am frightened to put a tube down his throat in case it goes into his lungs or hurts him. I am really getting out of my depth here. Thank goodness everybody else is healthy.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #16
Beverley
Adult

That's a good way to put it, offer suggestions ....
It has not pooed since it came here so no go yet. When he rings me with the results I will suggest consulting with Dr divers. Thanks Ed.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #17
TortBabe
Adult

I hope you hear back from him soon Bev, to be honest I found Michael Griffiths pompous arrogant and old-fashioned. He quoted the tortoise trust at me but he obviously does not know a lot about the day to day of tortoises.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #18
joanna
Adult

I'm lucky that when a vet is needed I have confidence in the one near to me, Bev I think a flush is done when they don't readily provide samples, so flush a sample from them. As in protozoa infections etc. I know it was an option with my higebacks but they poo'd on the way.
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:40 AM   #19
Beverley
Adult

I do agree Clare, I wasn't keen but it was him or an 8 hour trip to Dublin and she's just alrite, she charged me £128 Euro a couple of years ago to worm three torts and tell me not to hibernate them !!
I don't mind paying out when my torts need treatment but not to be ripped off.
thanks Joanna for that information, we really need a good vet like Hannah bould over here !!
Old 04-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #20
Beverley
Adult

Well after weighing him again their he is losing weight again now 288g so I am going to have to get food into him Danny told me he needs caleries now and he is right, so do I just get a syringe and a fine tube. How long would it have to be he is 4.5 inches long and what will I put in it.
I really can't put into words here how scared I am doing this, but I see no other option. Please help me