Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 19-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
Evie
Sub Adult

Sorry to hear your little one is unwell.

I have a leopard who is prone to respirtory infections and when she is bad I use a nebuliser to ease her breathing.

Maybe you could run a hot bath and create a steamy enviroment - put you tortoise in the bathroom for 5 mins and see if that helps.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #12
sandy
Adult

I would also remove the bark substrate, as this is ok for redfoots and tropical tortoises, but not meds. It can get too damp underneath if it gets wet. And could harbour mould spores.
Soil and sand mix is the best. Or while he/she is ill, keep her on newspaper, and shred some so she can hide in it. This way you can change the bedding more often, until she is well again.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #13
Mortifera
Egg

thanks i feel more confident she's going to get better now, dunno what i'd do without this forum :P anyways i'll let you know how she's doing in a couple of days ^-^
Old 19-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #14
tartaruga amore
Sub Adult

you can get a ceramic for under £10 on ebay
i can only tell you how i treat one of mine, this is as well as getting vet treatment
i change to either a towel or newspaper
keep the temps up, and a little bowl of water to keep it humid
i put a few drops of olbas oil on cotton wool on top of a radiater
up the baths to a couple of times a day, dry well after
i use a nebuliser for 15mins a day
and i offer fave food chopped finely just after coming out of the bath,
i offer all the no-no's, as long as i get him to eat, a bit of tomatoe or tinned fruit salad works every time for me, as he starts to munch he does not noitice he is eating all the good stuff underneath his "treat"

try not to worry, he does need very good nursing, on top of vet treatment, but one of mine has had it 4 times in the last 20 odd years and he is still here
he has it at the moment, i knew it was going to happen as he had a op earlier in the year

oh and i wipe his nose when needed with some damp tissue, just to stop it going down his throat
tartaruga amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #15
sandy
Adult

Most illnesses in tortoises if caught early are treatable, and the tortoise can go on to live a long happy life.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #16
shellonia
Sub Adult

I'm not sure of your tortoise size or age or have I missed it?Tiny ones can be very worrying but they are tough.If I told you what I went through with one of mine for 18 months you probably wouldn't believe it!Another wayof making a little steam tent is to put hot(not too hot but enough to steam)water into a basin.Put a nylon sieve over the top(not touching the water) put tortie in sieve and cover with a J-Cloth.It works wonders in the breathing department.They do pull through with lots of tlc,though I must say this is where a spare vivarium can come in useful for keeping a steady heat and no draughts.That's the only time I would ever use one.Good luck
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #17
Mortifera
Egg

thanks guys I'll pick up some new substrate today and give it all a change around
she's only a little girl btw, just a year old, which is why i'm so worried
Back to the vets later today anyways, then after her visit I'll bathe and try out the steamy things people have suggested.
Still haven't been able to get any food in her, the vet suggested a fruity baby food just to get her eating but that hasn't worked i'll try the fruit salad suggestion though

Just thought... I have a facial sauna that creates a lot of steam, putting olbas oil in that and putting her nearby or something would that work?
Old 20-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #18
Star
Sub Adult

Hope the visit at the vets goes well.....hopefully she will find her appetite x
0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #19
tartaruga amore
Sub Adult

it would help, but dont put the oil on her or make it to strong, think of the size of her lungs, compaired to yours

when she walks away from her food, take her back to it, i dont know why, but sometimes i have to do this a few times with a ill tort

i know some have used jam with great sucess, but i have never tried it
tartaruga amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #20
Mortifera
Egg

just got back from the vets, he didnt say much, gave me an attachment thingy for the syringe which has made it easier to get the antibiotic in her! gonna try offering her some fruity things in a bit to try get her eating.

Been out and got some sand and top soil too so her table is getting a make over shortly.

Also cleaned round her nose with a cotton bud as the vet said one of them was blocked, poor girl, she seems to have improved a little bit today, she was fighting back when i tried giving her antibiotic so fingers crossed