Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
STEWIE
Incubating

Oh Bless, hes only a baby, the poor little fella
Good luck with him i`m sure you`ll get him sorted.
Just a suggestion here and i know its ok for most torts but the soil could possibly be contributing to his problem.
Reason i mention this is one of mine is very susceptible to rns and conjunctivitus when on soil and all the others are fine on it, i`ve tested all substrates with her, damped down etc etc, you name it i`ve tried it and the only substrate that doesnt cause her trouble is reptile bark chippings. Theyre really expensive but worth it, just a suggestion for you and maybe something to try.
best of luck, Becky xx
Old 10-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
sandy
Adult

You could try bathing in critical care, this can boost their systems.
I think you are doing everything possible, warmth and care. Until he/she comes back from the vet its hard to suggest anything really but the obvious. Time is the thing that will help, especially getting the correct husbandry. F10 and the nebuliser should do him/her good too.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
Old 10-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #13
wilsonathome
Hatchling

thanks, i've set up a table for him, my daughter's bottom drawer i'm bathing him for 15-20 mins 3 times a day. i've got him on newspaper under my megaray, he's very lethargic today and still hasn't opened his eyes (despite my bathing them) and still not eating, he's squeaking quite a bit too. i've also noticed that the very tip of his tail is quite red! he's goin vet tomorrow morning, i haven't seen any urates or poo in the 2 days he's been with me either so it's better for his owner to take him as she will be more accurate with questions, i hope the little fella will be ok he just wants to sleep
Old 10-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
alotoffluff
Adult

Location: greenwich, london, previously born and brought up in Kent!

Can i ask why she asked you to care for him while he's sick? Has she not had him a long time though? Do you thinkk she will want him back?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #15
wilsonathome
Hatchling

she has heard of me through a friend of a friend of family friend, know what i mean she rang me out of the blue and i'm just a sucker yes she will definately want him back she's had him a year and probs not confident through his illness
he opened 1 of his eyes earlier after i bathed them so that made me happier
Old 16-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #16
miniaturemaid
Egg

Hi Susan
Thanks for taking care of my tortoise but i noticed you missed out with the fact you were the breeder and person who sold him to me in the first place. Not through friend of a friend kind of thing know what i mean!!
Old 16-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #17
alotoffluff
Adult

Location: greenwich, london, previously born and brought up in Kent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniaturemaid View Post
Hi Susan
Thanks for taking care of my tortoise but i noticed you missed out with the fact you were the breeder and person who sold him to me in the first place. Not through friend of a friend kind of thing know what i mean!!
I think Sue was just trying to do her best for the tortoise and breeder or not, she was right to ask peoples advise on here.
All the members on Sw want whats best for any sick tortoise and Sue was just trying to make sure she gave the tortoise the right care!
I hope the tortoise is feeling a little better and you are confident now to take over with his care, and if at akll you ever need any advise, you will come to SW like Sue did.
Old 16-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #18
Mrs Frog
Adult

Hi.I assumed that Sue was the breeder of this little tort as she is trying to do the best for this little one.I hope that he will soon be getting better and he has seen a good vet that sue trusts.I am sure he will soon improve,and everyone on here wants the best for their torts.I am always on here asking for advice.I am getting a tortoise from sue very soon and I shall keep in touch with her as i feel that she is a great breeder and cares very much for her tortoises,even when they have gone to their new homes.
I hope you will stay on this forum as it is great for any info and advice and we all want to know how he is getting on

Last edited by Mrs Frog; 16-02-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 16-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #19
wilsonathome
Hatchling

hi minaturemaid, glad you found this website, i wanted to introduce you to this forum as it's (in my opinion) the best for information, this is a great place to find answers to every tortoise related question there are many experts here. yes i bred your little herbie but i'm not a person to "name names" and it wasn't you who initially phoned me to tell me he was ill, like i said i wanted to introduce you to this website so you could learn how to care for your tortoise
Old 16-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #20
miniaturemaid
Egg

Hi Both
Thanks for your concern over my herbie i have to say he's doing a lot better both eyes are now open and he's eating like a horse lol...he has urinated creamy like but as yet no poop but maybe thats understandable due to his belly being empty through not eating the past week.
I wanted to say i was not knocking sue in any way and only joined this forum last night i should have been posting my intro and instead jumped straight in and made myself sound like a real tyrant(not intended of course) its just the way things had been worded in your/sue's posts.
I bought herbie in may 08 from a clutch from the previous year so he/she is about a year and half now. I just didnt think the wording in your/sue's post was very nice. Both my sister mum and myself bought our torties from sue and whilst i admit to not keeping in touch due to health reasons of my own(recouping from brain surgery last year, i have hydracephelus) my sister did keep in touch so i got a little upset and hurt by the following wording
"she has heard of me through a friend of a friend of family friend, know what i mean she rang me out of the blue and i'm just a sucker "
I have to point out sue no one took you for a sucker, Im sorry you felt this way.
Anyway all hurt feelings aside my main priority is my herbie who will be paying another visit to lance jepson on wednesday, hopefully fingers crossed he will be ok he's been on daily antibiotic shots since last wed which my other half has been giving him. And is looking a lot brighter although He's sleeping at the moment lol....
Sorry to ramble on and im glad to join this forum which is really informative im looking forward to learning a lot more from everyone.
xx Rachel
Closed Thread