Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 09-05-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
Ozric
Incubating

Default Heat / Light outdoor 'hut' ideas please

Hi all

I am planning to add to my outdoor facilities. We have a coldframe with an exit into a secure outside enclosure. I wish to add to this a low hut type house which would also access directly into the enclosure, to give more options on those pesky variable days and possibly for overnight as well. It would hopelfully allow them 'outside' on those days when the weather looks doubtful but might brighten up.

I would need to get electricity laid on and plan to insulate the walls. What would be the best heating / lighting appliances ?
The torts would need to be able to come and go as they pleased obviously, is there any way to minimise heat loss?
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi what breed is the heat light for, if for meds, you need a house were you can hang a light source and check the temps, as for an inside enclosure, how high is your hut.
Paul
16 shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
Ozric
Incubating

Hi The torts are Hermann's and I don't have the hut yet but I don't want a full height one because its going to obstruct the view not just down the garden but more importantly of the outdoor enclosure from the house direction. Perhaps an internal height of 70 cm? Hopefully this would allow for a lamp to be hung.

What about these tube heaters to take the chill off the air, are these any use? when people use sheds do they always have somehting like a mercury balasted bulb for heat and light or does this just encourage the torts to stay inside too much when the UV would be better outdoors?

All suggestions welcome!
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

A combined uv/heat lamp hung from top of a small hut is o.k, i would check what temps it produces inside the hut to be on the safe side. even though they can move in and out. mine is placed inside a small dog kennel. But it is only on when the outside temps are poor. If the weather does'nt pick up toying on putting heat/light on a thermostat
Hope this help abit
Paul
Old 10-05-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Sorry reread your post you dont need heat for night time unless there is a massive drop in temps
Paul
Old 10-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #6
jo__
Incubating

I have a hut which is made out of two wooden boxes, insulated and covered with metal sheeting. Inside there is a wooden beam about three quarters up the box, with a 150watt ceramic heater hanging off, and pulse thermostat at the top. The lid of the box also lifts off, and has a clear panall so we can make sure my tort is in there in the cooler weather At the mo the thermostat is only set to 12, and he has no extra heat, its only for end of march to around mid may really, and when it gets cooler in september/october I will try post some pics soon
Jo x
jo__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Like to see your picks Jo
Paul