Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #261
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Not that anything has to be explained, but...... The thread was seperated because it had gotten soooooooooooooooooooooooo far away from the original post. Really what does it matter how many views the thread has gotten? Especially when the main people posting have probably added 1,000's of views apiece to the total. At the end of the closed thread a link was posted to the new thread, so nothing was done to hide the new thread or make it harder to find. I and the rest of the mod team don't think there is anything to complain about here.

Danny and the rest of the Mod team
Old 10-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #262
Box girl
Sub Adult

Sorry Danny who has been complaining did not think we were? I certainly have not been.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Old 12-04-2010, 07:49 AM   #263
Geomyda
Adult

Default Bcg agm

At the AGM held yesterday, which seems to have finally managed to muster the attendence of 26 members. A new report was handed out which purports to give an update of the events occuring in Italy. This report has now also been uploaded to the BCG website.
This report once again shows the Editor trying to play catch up with the situation. Paradoxically, the media in Italy also issued the latest piece in the story, which surprise, surprise, once again contradicts the statement:
Old 12-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #264
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

I wish I could read that But Unfortunately it isn't my language.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #265
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquestrianBabe View Post
I wish I could read that But Unfortunately it isn't my language.
Have not got time to translate the whole piece, but the headline reads "Management of Carapax leave, Animals stay"!
Check the report on the BCG website, which is clearly contradicted.
Old 13-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #266
Geomyda
Adult

Default Carapax Statement

CARAPAX NEW SEASON 2010-

CARAPAX ON THE MOVE!

The 21st season of Carapax will probably be one of the most difficult ones in its history. Due to the hostile political situation in Massa Marittima involving discrimination and even the discrediting of the Carapax staff and the attempt to lay claim to structures and animals , it was decided to relocate the site and to divide the work amongst three centres.

1.The new Carapax centre will continue the work of the original biological field station: a didactical and biological Mediterranean station in situ for the study, breeding and re-introduction in the wild of Tuscan, Italian and Mediterranean herpefauna and avifauna, mainly chelonians and White Storks. Five different locations are on offer but we hope Carapax can remain in the Maremma region, the land of chelonians.

2.The rescue centre for aquatic / confiscated animals, mainly American fresh water turtles, will also be moved . A new centre will be created in collaboration with the private sector ; it will remain in Italy and will not be open to the public.

3.The tropical chelonians were moved by RANA from the original Carapax site during Spring 2009. They have been placed in safe environments and are in the hands of various experts. Eventually a new Cites centre will be set up. However, Italian law was not conducive and an international solution has not proved possible. It has therefore been decided to set the centre up in Belgium.

Transferring thousands of animals was not an easy task as these vulnerable creatures are closely tied to their environment. 600 allochtone reptiles were transferred in 2009 to several sister organisations in various European countries.

The existing 2004 release programme for Mediterranean tortoises was accelerated and resulted in reducing the number of breeding stock and juveniles kept at Carapax from 1200 to 350.

The European terrapins and their holding facilities (one of them jointly sponsored by Soptom and the BCG) had already been handed over in 2006 to EMYS CONSERVATION, under the dynamic presidency of Alain Veysset.

After the juvenile storks had migrated, we first reduced and then stopped feeding the adult population of storks, thus stimulating them to migrate as well. Part of the colony is being looked after at sites some 40 km south of Grosseto, where new nests have been built for them.

The Tuscan donkeys have been reduced in numbers from 11 to 8 as some of them found a new home with real donkey lovers.

HOW CAN FRIENDS AND SUSTAINING MEMBERS HELP CARAPAX?

Of course the dismantling and transportation of various vulnerable and rather delicate technical and scientific apparatus as well as 11 greenhouses is demanding and time consuming. We have been working for months on this. Moving the animals is even more difficult.

The new CARAPAX centre will be built at a new location on private land to be purchased. The purchase and the rebuilding of the CARAPAX site along modern European standards will be very costly, so every financial support is more than welcome.

Thank you for helping us!
Old 19-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #267
Box girl
Sub Adult

Default BCG Newsletter

Has anyone had a look the latest newsletter. The centrefold is duplicated and 4 pages are missing!! I know I should be grateful I got sent one as I have had my membership revoked but this is clearly not right.
Whoever is responsible needs to give a clear explanation, as to how this occured.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Old 19-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #268
EJ
Adult

My first response when reading this... 'give me an fn break'.

The pettyness is getting quite old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box girl View Post
Has anyone had a look the latest newsletter. The centrefold is duplicated and 4 pages are missing!! I know I should be grateful I got sent one as I have had my membership revoked but this is clearly not right.
Whoever is responsible needs to give a clear explanation, as to how this occured.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 19-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #269
helen1
Sub Adult

Geezzzzz.....can no one make a mistake these days!!!!

Just to add....I got my newsletter and it was perfect...

Just to remind folks...in case they forget amongst all the other stuff under discussion....the BCG do a lot of other stuff apart from this and yesterday I met a member in Cambridge and hats off to her an others in the fantastic work they do..
Old 19-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #270
EJ
Adult

I would hope that more members would speak up in this direction... thanks Helen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen1 View Post
Geezzzzz.....can no one make a mistake these days!!!!

Just to add....I got my newsletter and it was perfect...

Just to remind folks...in case they forget amongst all the other stuff under discussion....the BCG do a lot of other stuff apart from this and yesterday I met a member in Cambridge and hats off to her an others in the fantastic work they do..
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Closed Thread