Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 26-07-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
shutty
Egg

Default Started my enclosure, more advice please *pic*

Hey

So after looking at hutches and runs in town yesterday I decided I didnt like any of them so bought a load of wood and started my own

The picture is naturally unfinshed but now I have some choices, the house will have a front on it and a hole for a door, but I am still unsure about heating it at night. I made it tall to allow different heights for bulbs if I wanted.

Would it be suitable to put in a nighttime heatbulb, say 40w? At what height should this be from the floor? It will be on a habistat which I already have so where should I put the sensor and what temps shall i try to maintain in the house area?

I was planning on using soil/sand in the actual housing area as the substrate or do i need to put in an actual wooden floor for them? Maybe a stone slab under the heated area so it maintains some heat?

It looks smaller than it is in that picture, its a decent size, very happy so far. Will furnish it with suitable exploration areas and plants, considering a cold frame at one end too
shutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I don't know about heating, that would depend where you live maybe but you might want to treat the wood or it will rot quite quickly (in about 2 years or so)
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
naomij
Incubating

i was advised my torts live outside, just to use a normal spotlight for basking , which only goes on for an hour each morning to warm them up before going out into the pen,
on a cold rainy day, i do put it on for longer

i have background heating in the 5ftx3.5ft shed which will be used when it gets colder.

i do not have uvb lighting in the shed as advised as they live outside and get all they need from proper light.
naomij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

In most cases it shouldn't need heating but if shutty is in the Shetland Islands or somewhere then it might
Old 26-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
shutty
Egg

Thanks..

I will be treating htis with an eco/pet friendly treatment to stop rot once I have finished building it.

Still a bit confused about the heating. So you think it may be warm enough during the day/night without any heating? I am in the south of england so not exatcly remote shetland like location.

naomij you use a basking lamp doesnt that encourage them to stay inside? instead of going out to get UV? Sorry I am a bit confused by all this as I mentioned in another thread I am only used to a vivarium which I thought was a simple setup and now know is wrong for them.
Old 26-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Some people do use heat and some don't. I don't have heat and am in Scotland, however today it is about 10c out there so they are in the house with the lamps on

With this summer(!!!) they are out and in like fiddler's elbows. If the weather was settled they would be out all day and night with no heat.

Putting in electrics outdoors can be tricky as you have to be careful about condensation etc as wet + electric = death usually

Last edited by Alan1; 26-07-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 26-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
shutty
Egg

I already have an outdoor electrical socket so I need to plug in form this, but I guess keeping the lamps condensation free is the tricky bit.

Any tips?
Old 26-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi the benifits of heating a hut/hide is good for a warm up of a couple of hours in the morning, if it is a cool week, i sometimes leave the bulb on, it is a 50w trex daylight bulb in a ceramic holder, this is on a timer, the holder is a must, but any srew fit bulb will do. The Hermans choose to come out when they want, staying out on good days or rewarming on the crap day's, as long as the hide is water tight no probs, i would test the hut first leaving out to the rain and checking for dryness before conecting the electrics.

Last edited by 16 shells; 26-07-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: [IMG]http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb283/16shells4006/014.jpg[/IMG]
16 shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Inside the hut, i've cocked the reply up abit

2 Hermans in, 1 already out
Hope this helps
Paul
Old 26-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutty View Post
I already have an outdoor electrical socket so I need to plug in form this, but I guess keeping the lamps condensation free is the tricky bit.

Any tips?
I don't really know, insulated special bulb holders maybe? The ones used on fish tanks are safe but the only type I ever had was the strip light holders for my aquariums.

I once had the planning guy out looking at my shed when I was doing some alterations and he told me that the electical sockets I had in there required proof that it was installed by a qualified electrician. I got the electrician to sign it but it had been in there years. The shed is brick built and attached to the house but never had electric originally.

edit-Damn it, too slow with my replies again the post above may answer the Q

Last edited by Alan1; 26-07-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Tags
enclosure, tortoise