Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 30-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #1
katyp
Egg

Default Article 10 questions...

Hi
I successfully hatched 2 hermanns eggs last August and am looking to sell the hatchlings this year.
Am I correct in thinking I have to fill in a form each and if the fee £31 per tortoise?
I am completely new to this as you may realise..any help appreciated.
Also does it affect my application if I don't hold any CITES info at all for the parents? They were in my family before you had to...?
katyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

You need to apply for certificates for the parents first. They may issue you a breeding certificate. You would need to give defra as much detail as possible. Where the adults were obtained & when & their full history, tell them where they have lived all this time etc. If you ring defra they are helpful & will go through it all with you. The adults will also need to be microchipped. Once you have certificates for the adults you can then send for certs for their babies.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
Gordon
Adult

As Lynn has said you will need to get papers for the female and male and then IF you do it will cost you £31 for the application and then £1.50 per baby as you have two babies it will cost you £32.50 as they give you one free so you will only be paying for one if that makes any sense.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
wigwamman
Juvenile

this is probably the worst case scenario.

2 adults microchiped £50 or less if you wait until june(vets special)
2 adults a10s £60 ish.
application for hatchlings £30-£35

you could give them away,no cost to you.
if you intend to breed more you need to take the cost on the chin.
please don't think you could be onto a nice little earner because the private ads are awash with torts for sale/rehome,ask me how i know!
good luck and have fun
dave
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 11:11 PM   #5
katyp
Egg

Sorry for the belated thanks! I am giving them away as would rather keep in touch with them, they are the first babies I have ever hatched
katyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 08:05 AM   #6
Pussygalore
Adult

if you are giving them away make sure you also give a letter saying so with your details, any future owner wishing to get them papered/chipped or sell them on will come back to you for details if they don't have a letter, and if the parents are papered and chipped then give the new owner their number on the cert and chip number as these will also be needed. Sorry but if you can't get the paperwork for the adults if you don't have them for whatever reason then I'd suggest that you don't hatch anymore eggs, its a problem for any future owner and you don't know who'll have the babies over their long lifetime, there are so many owners who get a tort without paperwork who come onto the forums for help in doing so its not fair to add to the problem.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 27-05-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #7
amph55
Egg

Smile

I know the problem as I rehomed a tortoise before all the identification certificates and lost touch with previous owners. Now I want to identify the sub species of my Graeca spur thigh but reading up about this I can't decide if he is a testudo graeca Terrestis native of Syria, Lebanon or Israel or a testudo graeca Zarundnyi native of western Iran. I would think he most likely would have come originally (before the ban) from Israel than Iran as he is approx 40 years old and Iran would not have been accesible but because of his dark scales yet light parchment coloured front claws he seems to contradict both these definitions. His scutes are dark with only very little orange in between, the C shape being quite obvious yet not standing out at first glance.Could he be a sub sub species even though obviously bred in the wild? I am puzzled and wonder if anyone has any knowlege of Spur thigh identification?
All this only matters if I take on another tortoise which should apparently not only be another spur thigh but the same sub species if they are going to share the same garden for tortoise overall happiness!