Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 16-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
smallmum
Egg

Unhappy Tipping up

Hi,
Brian my Horsfield keep climbing up the side of the table with his front lets till he's stood on his back legs. Problem is that a few times he's done this he's ended up on his back. Fortunatly one of us has seen him and turned him over.
Just wondered if there was anything I could do to discourage or prevent him from doing it?
Earlier today he ended up on his back under the lamp.
I've got loads of rocks and slate for him to help as leverage but he just stays there till someone moves him over.
I'm really worried he'll do it while were all out and die.
Old 16-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
purplelynn
Sub Adult

The more you turn him over the less likely he is to turn himself - leave him for a while if he is not under the lamp and see if he is able to right himself.
purplelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
shaz
Sub Adult

Mine used to do it too. They did grow out of it thou.
shaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
yuna1971
Adult

It could be that he sort of can see over the top...maybe try making the substrate around the corner like a little ditch, slightly lower down - like a little trench. Lily does do this but not so much now. I made the sides slightly higher.
What I also bought specifically for the corners is one of those hamster log bridges that you can get in the big pet stores - like Jollys. Get the really large one, then put it on its side so that the log bits are vertical.
For me, this did the trick. I do think that sometimes if they can see the top of the enclosure...and see beyond, they think hey I can reach that.
This might not be the answer...but have given you a few ideas. Hope this helps.
Just make sure you have stones or pebbles round the basking end. This is where you DONT want it to happen (as has been said).
You can just let him right himself. However, i do think if something is preventable by trying a few different measures then (for worry sake) try them. xxx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
smallmum
Egg

I shall try all your suggestions.... ta xx
Old 17-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
yuna1971
Adult

Its worth a try Mumsie...
I cant say for definite to you that it wont happen again, or that these suggestions work. They worked for me but all torts are different.
Maybe dont make the 'trench' too steep as in gaugeing the soil out, just very subtlely lower - if you know what I mean.
Believe it or not - a month or so ago, Lily actually got onto his hide from climbing on a spider plant in one of the corners of the enclosure (not the hot end) and then proceeded to flop down on the other side....where all my leads, starter for my strip etc is!! Then found he was stuck OVER on this side of the enclosure....
So I guess the moral of the story is...they are clever things and if there is any inkling that they can see or climb something, then they will have a go!!
Plant went that very night....and now have one of those large log bridges vertically standing in that corner. It hasnt been attempted since. Mainly as these bridges, because you stand them up vertically - the tort has nothing to put his front feet on to get UP anywhere. And as they are tall, they wont see over either. xxx
Good luck, fingers crossed for you. xxx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote