Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 25-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #21
alicia
Adult

lol i always tell christian i dont like seeing his dead reodents, but as he has told me his pets have to eat.

i too have to turn over on animal programs and i even cry when i watch fishing programs

i like my rats fluffy with a heartbeat aswell haha but i think it's much nicer for us to see christian feeding pre dead animals that didnt suffer then live ones.

i agree with both oppinions.

alice x

0.0.2 graeca ibera
alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #22
Pussygalore
Adult

Please tell me then at what age do think it fit to destroy a childs innocence and wonder at the world around them and tell them about how baby animals are either gassed or frozen alive in order that captive/pet snakes/reptiles can have dinner, or don't you tell them that bit, maybe the child would think its a rubber mouse/rat, don't you think they don't need to know those details untill they are older and that showing how to care and be kind to all animals is the first step to making a good caring adult, are you one of those people that tolerate children chasing the local pidgeons or one that takes them to feed them and the ducks, I believe that young children don't see things as either good or bad that has to be taught and whos to say that the child whos been shown a mouse being fed won't go home and try to feed pinky to the cat or think that when their pet dies thats where it will go, most children who are cruel to animals do it because they have never been taught any different, they are not born evil but that comes from what we as adults teach them, they will learn at a suitable age about where our food comes from, they will see wildlife programs showing animals killing their food that is natural but show them chicks being gassed or baby mice and what do they learn from that, that is an adults choice not a childs.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #23
alicia
Adult

i think it all depends on what you believe in, i dont think it's the parents fault if their child turns out to be cruel to animals if thats what you are saying.
if you had aperfect loving, happy family and their son/daughter turned out to be a killer would you blaim the parents??

a child that is shown the reality of life has a choice to think it is wrong or bad. my dad was brought up on a farm and has taught me stuff about animals from a very young age, like how they are killed and how long they live for, i dont thnik he is a bad parent for that, it just made me realise how cruel the world is and made me respect the animals i have and can care for and i think its bad to have a child brought up not really knowing what goes on in the world.

i hope that made sence, im not very good at explaining myself

0.0.2 graeca ibera
Old 25-02-2008, 11:14 AM   #24
Pussygalore
Adult

I wasn't saying that at some point children shouldn't learn the truth but asking what age it would seem appropiate, and sorry but I do think its the parents fault if their child turns out wrong, maybe not totally but untill at least say 12 years parents are and should be held accountable for their childrens actions, most of the trouble makers seem to come from homes where either the parents work and don't either care or know what their children are up to, thats not fiction but fact, children that witness violence can turn out that way as they know nothing different the same goes for cruelty if a child is taught to respect and told off when being cruel they won't do it, my mum pulled my pony tail when I pulled the cats tail it showed me how it felt and I never did it again, if a child is taught how to care for,love and respect creatures then that should stay with them for the rest of their lives, my cousins have a fear of dogs which their mother had and taught the girls this as well they still have this fear and are in thier 40,s so like it or not we are responsible for how our children turn out, and shouldn't have them if we either don't have the time or inclination to be responsible parents for most of if not all of ours and their lives, we train and correct a puppy the same appiles to children.
Old 25-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #25
chris_walton
Sub Adult

mmm this thread is a toughy

as i was very squeemish about all this type of stuff till i started collect reptiles and snakes

but i do think the younger generation is alott tougher than they used to be and anyone young person on any reptile foum is going to come across this at some point and there are alot worser things out there in the world especially on the net that they can look at we all know how disturbing the net can be for instance just google dead human and you will see what i mean

as far as this thread goes i think there would have been more up roar if christian had posted pics of live rodents and explain what they were for

in my mind this is no worse than some ones cat bringing in a mouse or a bird, mosts peoples have done it at one point or another only these were killed humanly rather than dragged around and played with and then suffered an agonising death

think what im trying to say rather than waffleing is aslong as the thread has a caution at the top i really dont see any problem with it
if you do go one other reptile forums you will find topics like this but with no warnings and there must be children on those forums to

chris x x x

chris_walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #26
alicia
Adult

i totally agree with what you have just said, children should be taught to respect people and animals. but i dissagree that parents are responsible.
my sisters son is only 2 and he loves animals, he come and sees my tortoise and he helps me feed him, he cuddles my rats and strokes my dog but my sister has never taught him to be nice he just loves animals, my other sister has two daughters, one is 5 and the other nearly 3. she has taught them to be nice to animals but they scream in cats faces, pull my dog about and i dont let them near my rats or tortoise. now that isnt my sisters fault there like this because she tells them off for it and she has brought them up around animals and to be nice to them but they still choose to do scream at the cat and pull the dogs hair even knowing they will get told off.

even though they are small they have their own oppinions and feelings it's up to them to choose if they will like animals of hurt them

alice

0.0.2 graeca ibera
Old 25-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #27
Pussygalore
Adult

so your suggesting that a child is born with these feelings of anger fear hate whatever, I always thought that a baby is born innocent like a blank sheet of paper, and has to learn everything from the things around it, the same with all new born things, we can only have opiniums, thoughts, choices etc if we have experienced something, certain traits may be inherited in animals such as nervousness etc but I didn't think in humans, we can make a vicious uncontrolable dog the same with people, we are no different more intelligent which in turns makes it more important how we learn and what we are shown, aren't they trying to prove that children who watch violent films, video games can try those things themselves as they can't tell whats real and what insn't, there must be an age when a child is mature enough to analise and make sense of what they are being taught and untill that age they don't need to know, a bit like sex education some children may be ready earlier than others but untill they show an interest theres no point in telling them, its the same with snakes if the children grow up with them fine but for those that don't why explain the not so nice side of things untill they start to ask questions and that can be at all different ages, being a young child is the only time when we can be safe/happy and have no worries and that is such a precious time it should be valued.
Old 25-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #28
chris_walton
Sub Adult

ann i understand what your saying and am not dissagreeing with you but why then let children have access to reptiles site when things like this thread do crop up at some point

it happens on most forums but others dont bat an eyelid to me this is part and package of reptile forums just as killing a lobster to eat on a cookery forum its just the same thing but its a cookery forum and you do expect to see these things

like i said before aslong as the title has a warning then parents with children should be the ones who decide if there children see the thread or not

and like i said in another post that theres alot of things on here i dont like and dont see the point of but others do and i just dont read or post any comments this way it makes life easier for both parties

chris x x x x x x

Old 25-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #29
leggy
Sub Adult

Ok not read all this but i have to say that to me i see no need for pics of dead mice and so on. I feed live and frozen in my house and my kids have seen this and understand it. I find it desterbing that this kind of thing is shown not once but on a number of ocashionse (sp) On a tortoise site. Its not nice. Sorry but i just dont understand why somone would wont to keep posting pics like that and why anyone would wont to look at them but thats just me

leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #30
chris_walton
Sub Adult

leggy you are right it is a tortoise forum but you have just replied to a thread that is in other animals about reptiles