Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 09-02-2008, 02:30 AM   #1
Bertie1974
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to Bertie1974

I had many hamsters when I was growing up. I had several russian hamster, non of which were very friendly and tended to be very aggressive. I found that the nicer hamster were the syrian type or golden hamsters. If you manage to get a baby one they tend to nip at first but only because they are frightened, they soon become tame with constent handling. I spent many happy hours as a child with mine, they used to run up and down the stairs (under supervision), fall asleep on me when I was watching the telly. This type of hamster should never be kept together though, they are solitary animals only being put together for breeding purposes and then separated when mated, they will and do fight.
I've had upwards of seven syrian hamsters, all brought as babies, all were extremely tame, and all lived 3 - 4 years which is good going for hamsters. Non of mine were housed in these plastic rota stack things, but normal cages, with bars for them to gnaw their front teeth on. A full plastic wheel to exercise on (not the metal bar type that they can get their legs stuck in) and a little house to sleep in.
Good luck with your search

Sam x x

Bertie1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:58 AM   #2
midi-mania
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to midi-mania

thanks, i do like the big hamsters because they just seem better in some way but the smaller ones are real cute... heres some of what i already have: this was when i was going to put it on ebay but never got round to it

i have a few boxes worth more toys that came with the hamster, oh and is it ok to keep all female hamsters of the same kind together? (im guessing males wil have to be split unless brothers?

just spent about an hour trying to find a local place that is selling them or people who need to get rid of them but theres none i can see
Old 09-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
kellswells83
Incubating

ok so have you ever thought of owning a rat? maybe you should get one of them if you are looking for a friendly pet as they are very friendly (especially huskeys) i have owned them most of my life, i haven't had one since my last one dies at the ripe old age of 4 & a half. they are such lovely pets.
obviously they are much bigger than hampsters but they make much better pets. and believe it or not they are the cleanest of all the rodents!
I would recomend them to anyone. i fully intend to get one for my son when he is old enought to take responsibility for one (he's only 2 at the minute!)
Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
Bertie1974
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to Bertie1974

Hello Gav, Syrain hamsters should never be kept together, they do and will fight, often to the death of one or both hamsters and it doesn't matter whether they are male or female. They are truely solitary creatures.
Hope this helps

Sam x x

Bertie1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

i would not say a rat is better...i own rats and hamsters. both are very good but each have different personilites. for the soze your looking for you do want a hamster, rats do need more space and they DO smell.
and they 2 will fight to the death.

if you want i am goign to buy 50 rats to day, and 40 mice, and 1 young rabbit...i can save you one if you want but they don't move much.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
midi-mania
Sub Adult

no its ok, my dad would never let me have one anyway, i know there clean but he has some thing he doesnt like about the wee (which is why we tryed to kill the one under our sheds but to no sucsess)
will have to be a hamster, needs to not take up a huge amount of room, smell much or cost much

were are you going to keep 50rats 40 mice and a rabit? im guessing their frozen?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

well if they don't require food then a freezer is a good enough place....don't wnat my babies to get food posioning
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
Toni115
Adult

I have kept rats in the past and they are fabulous animals, friendly, playful and funny. one of mine used to play fetch!!!
The only reason i dont keep them anymore is that i developed an allergy to them, and now if i go near them my eyes swell up!! otherwise i would have loads
mine never smelled either
Old 09-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
DAISY
Adult

Gav, you will have to find plenty of time, especialy in the early days for regular handling if you want a very tame hamster.
Tips to avoid biting, dont wake them up to play (very grumpy) and you will find they are most active at night time, often sleeping all day. Wash your hands before handling so there are no food smells or they may think your finger is a snack. Food bribery is the best way to tame just putting your hand in the cage offering a treat and let them come to you and when holding, let them face you as they are less likely to get startled and jump. Chinese hamsters once tamed are great hamsters and very friendly, although initialy very shy and you want one preferably that has been handled from an early age.
Have you thought of a gerbil?

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
midi-mania
Sub Adult

nope dont even know what they look like lol