Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 14-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #1
Pricey32
Egg

Default Sulky Tort

We have had our hermanns for just under a year, we have noticed just lately he has become stayed inside the covered end of his table not coming out for food or drink. the only time he is active is when taken outside and we are unable to do it for long due to the fact we have no cage or anything to protect him from our dog. the temps in his table are fine always in the 30s but he/she just stays in bed? Does anybody have any advice as to what we could do to encourage him out?or do i just leave it just to get on with it? i worry that with him still being quite young that he may starve.

Thanks all
Pricey32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

It might be the temperature always being in the 30's. It's okay in the 30's under the lamp but it needs to be cooler than that away from the lamp, down to 20-24c. If you do have a cool area then I don't know what else it could be, given that it's fine when outdoors. There are other things like worms but I would think that the behaviour would be the same outdoors and in. Other people may have some ideas hopefully.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
jimothy
Egg

I was worried for a few weeks when my year old ibera did this. Nothing obviously physically wrong (pooping, moving, shell eyes tongue all ok etc) but ‘depressed’ and sleeping all day when in his box except when I hand fed him and wouldn’t eat for himself but active when I took outside. After a few weeks he just sort of snapped out of it. I did try some baths in reptoboost but that might just have been a coincidence?
jimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 01:11 PM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimothy View Post
I was worried for a few weeks when my year old ibera did this. Nothing obviously physically wrong (pooping, moving, shell eyes tongue all ok etc) but ‘depressed’ and sleeping all day when in his box except when I hand fed him and wouldn’t eat for himself but active when I took outside. After a few weeks he just sort of snapped out of it. I did try some baths in reptoboost but that might just have been a coincidence?
When temps are too high all day, tortoises will hide away. All my adults at the moment are hiding as its really hot here outside at the moment. They will stay hidden until around three oclock when the sun moves and the temps drop a little.
All normal:0)
In the wild temps vary through out the day, this is what they prefer. It also helps with hydration. When temps are the same all day they dehydrate very easily:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 12:16 AM   #5
burnt toast
Adult

It is possible he has parasites. You can either take him to a vet or send for a test kit. Wormcount. Com are still operating. You send payment, they send you what you need to collect & send a sample, they send results very quickly via email. If its positive we can tell you how to treat.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 12:04 PM   #6
Pricey32
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
It might be the temperature always being in the 30's. It's okay in the 30's under the lamp but it needs to be cooler than that away from the lamp, down to 20-24c. If you do have a cool area then I don't know what else it could be, given that it's fine when outdoors. There are other things like worms but I would think that the behaviour would be the same outdoors and in. Other people may have some ideas hopefully.
There's plenty of space inside the table to have a cool area in the table we have, we just find it a bit strange as we never had a problem like this with our previous hermanns. Even yesterday my wife fetched it out as it felt cold so she put it under the lamp to warm up and it went straight back to bed. My only reason for concern is because its a younger tort and its not really eating.
Old 17-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #7
Pricey32
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
It is possible he has parasites. You can either take him to a vet or send for a test kit. Wormcount. Com are still operating. You send payment, they send you what you need to collect & send a sample, they send results very quickly via email. If its positive we can tell you how to treat.
I wouldnt have thought so but then again i wouldnt know
Old 17-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #8
Pricey32
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
what kit would be best to purchase? the combined or should i just test for worms?
Old 18-05-2020, 12:51 PM   #9
CherryBrandy
Adult

I find the younger torts do sleep a lot - like a human in different stages of life. My tiny ones still under lamps I tend to wake them up if I think they are 'hiding' too much and get them a routine - have you a routine because they tend to follow the sun outside but inside they don't as its artificial. By routine I mean for example - turn lights on and off at same time, always get him up (maybe put him in a shallow dish of his drinking water) I do mine every day at similar time whether eating or not.. literally whether they are eating or not. Feed every day similar time and place him in front of it - don't leave food down. spray every day similar time - make sure he is out on the stone when you do it. I tap the side of the table and mine come running now. Interestingly whether the lights are on or not they will go where the sun is in their indoor table and outside obviously. Try as much time outside as I suspect it is his rhythm clock. Sounds interfering - so don't go overboard. but devise a good routine even if it is wake him up , place on a stone - doesn't have to be under the lamp. He may be feeling a bit poorly so the shallow dish each day in his own run is a good one as they will dehydrate badly in the atmosphere. I sometimes place a plant next to the run and when you see if drying out on the top of the soil you can judge how dry humidity it is in the house. Feed natural also , weeds or crispy florette is good, good luck , keep us posted, routine !! CB
Old 19-05-2020, 12:51 PM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I remembered I had one with similar behaviour once and it had a calcium stone, baths in warm (but not hot) water twice a day solved that. It popped out in the basin and that was it.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote