Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 01-02-2016, 11:15 PM   #1
Splinter
Egg

Default Handling.

Over the last 10 days when I go close to the table, if Bertie wants to come out, he starts standing on "tip toes" as high as he can, head too, especially if I put my hand above him, as if to say "pick me pick me"

He does it a lot now and just wondered if anyone else's did this?
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Over the last 10 days when I go close to the table, if Bertie wants to come out, he starts standing on "tip toes" as high as he can, head too, especially if I put my hand above him, as if to say "pick me pick me"

He does it a lot now and just wondered if anyone else's did this?
He knows you feed him, so comes for food:0)
I know others think they come to the keeper, but its just for food.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
Splinter
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
He knows you feed him, so comes for food:0)
I know others think they come to the keeper, but its just for food.
He does it when there is plenty of food (that he likes) already there though too? O.o
Old 02-02-2016, 09:34 PM   #4
Jan W
Sub Adult

I have a Bertie too and it sounds as though he is responding to food! He much prefers to eat from me than the dish...... Although I do limit this so that he seeks his food and also keeps beak trim by eating from the dish.

However, he does seem to respond to my voice and my husband agrees. Of course it may be he hears my voice and thinks that must mean food time too. Although sometimes he doesn't take anything.

Keep in mind I am a big softie and convinced I have some sort of relationship with them!
Jan
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:48 PM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I think this 'pick me up' behaviour is simply looking for food and gaining some height to see better.

But the behaviour can be conditioned up to a point by the actions of humans. I haven't seen anything like it in tortoises but I have seen video of a box turtle that had been conditioned to roll on his back in order to get a food reward.

My tortoises know that I might bring food and when they hear and feel me approaching they become very alert and watchful. I think they have just been conditioned by the fact that when this has happened before, food has sometimes appeared.

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 03-02-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:43 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

Ok I am not of a mind like some that monkies should have voting rights, though there is something to be said of a few monkies can make better judgement calls than some humans on occasions. But there is definitely something in this and it isn't just always food or the Pavlov theory. There was a study undertaken in USA with how Tortoises may think and Herpetologists were asked to take part. I do recall it isn't as simple as rattle the bag and Tortoise comes running. There is a thought process behind it and who is to say they don't miss human contact if that's what they are use to. That maybe environmental circumstances but it goes back to what is their thought process. Another is the psychology behind it - yawn in front of your dog and they will often respond with a yawn. (that's a human trait too). CB
Old 03-02-2016, 06:10 PM   #7
Splinter
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
I think this 'pick me up' behaviour is simply looking for food and gaining some height to see better.
As I said, he does it sometimes when his "plate is full" of things he likes, so it can't just be about food, but he may have his reasons. He does on times stop eating and do it even.

Often he'll want to wander around on my bed/sofa for a while, before going back.

But he sometimes likes to just sit still and relax on my hand for 10-20 mins (held over a flat surface, so he can easily move off if he wants to), maybe just because of the heat, but I'm not convinced.

Last edited by Splinter; 03-02-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #8
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Tortoises don't think! They are 100% instinct, have a brain the size of a peanut and are not capable of thought. Tortoises do not know they exist and they do now 'know' anything else either - they just exist.

The brain of a tortoise is very basic. Cats and dogs are about 100 times as intelligent.

For me personally, tortoises are living proof that intelligence is very over-rated. Humans are the most intelligent species on the planet but take a look around you and watch the news on the tv. How are we doing? ****
Old 03-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #9
CherryBrandy
Adult

yes, massively into behavioural science. Though I don't animalmorphize - if that's right, there is a psychology behind behaviour. Clearly it differs re the characters but the test here is a plate full of food and same behaviour. Even spiders (ooh cant look at that word) have 'rationale' (too strong a word) of some sort. its not just environment and Darwin (lots re Darwin). It is the level of thinking behind the actions. Banjo sits on me during summer - I have never fed him sat in the garden, but he will come and sit on me and just watch the world go by. only Tortoise who does it. Lettie would rather bite me than sit on me. Papa Un rams ...Amazing things but the ramming has to go r its the hosepipe treatment.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

ha Jonathan we crossed posts ! don't agree ! Most things think, its the degree of rationalisation. unless you are a politician (don't ban me politicians with tortoises ).