Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 19-01-2016, 09:51 PM   #11
Jan W
Sub Adult

Great thanks - just been reading about humidity. Fortunately I purchased a thermometer with a humidity gauge after your recent advice,
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #12
Jan W
Sub Adult

Update:

I have purchased a heat mat, temperature control and polystyrene box (latter free).

I did not want to hand over the eggs to chicken egg breeders for incubation and as I am sure this will be a one off decided to try this method. Also, the incubator I found was £167. I have been researching this after help from Gordon and tips from CB - so thank you both.

I like the look of this method after taking temperatures round the Rayburn and found different, fluctuating. Humidity was reasonable, but that was not in a box. I think I must be looking a bit mad these days!

There are a list of reasons why I should not incubate, but my heart has over ruled and I am very excited. I do know they may not even be fertile so I am fairly prepared. I just felt that Beatrice had worked so hard to lay her eggs and they looked perfect. Her weight went down by 1.5 ounces, so 1/2 ounce each egg! (I must go to grams). Also, I do have lots of room for them if they hatch. I am just loving looking after torts, they give me so much pleasure. I was out this morning in my dressing gown and wellies looking for fresh weeds before I went to work.

As the forum has got me more and more interested you will all have a responsibility to help me with the hatchlings. Please.

I will keep you posted.

Many thanks to you all.

Jan
Old 21-01-2016, 10:24 PM   #13
emma_mcraf
Adult

I'm thrilled you've decided to incubate them, Jan. It's such a worthwhile experience.
I'm keeping everything crossed that they're fertile. Please keep us updated.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 10:45 PM   #14
vikki
Hatched

Wow - i have everything crossed that the will be fertile and hatch out.
Sooooo exciting
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #15
Pussygalore
Adult

I don't want to put a dampener on your find but if you want to keep your two adults together then you need to give your female a deep area so she can nest properly. It needs to be as deep as her body is long without having a nest area she may be stressed and has no choice but to lay them in the open which is very unnatural for her, if you don't want to incubate then you need to think about separating the adults as the female will carry on laying and possibly more than once a year, I don't know about Horsfeilds but my Ibera would lay 3 batches a year and I hatched and sold them the male was only put with her for breeding. At some point your eggs will be fertile whether these ones are or not and the only other choice is to throw them away, its easier and kinder not to let her lay them in the first place. One thing about Horsfeilds is that they don't need paperwork and are easy to sell but keeping another 3 could well end up meaning rehoming some as you could have all males which might fight and you wouldn't know the sex for certain until they are a few years old. Breeding torts is no different than any other animal and needs planning for.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #16
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
I don't want to put a dampener on your find but if you want to keep your two adults together then you need to give your female a deep area so she can nest properly. It needs to be as deep as her body is long without having a nest area she may be stressed and has no choice but to lay them in the open which is very unnatural for her, if you don't want to incubate then you need to think about separating the adults as the female will carry on laying and possibly more than once a year, I don't know about Horsfeilds but my Ibera would lay 3 batches a year and I hatched and sold them the male was only put with her for breeding. At some point your eggs will be fertile whether these ones are or not and the only other choice is to throw them away, its easier and kinder not to let her lay them in the first place. One thing about Horsfeilds is that they don't need paperwork and are easy to sell but keeping another 3 could well end up meaning rehoming some as you could have all males which might fight and you wouldn't know the sex for certain until they are a few years old. Breeding torts is no different than any other animal and needs planning for.
Please do not apologise, not a dampener, I do welcome all comments and advice. It really helps. I am realistic, even though I probably sound as though I have got a bit carried away.

Bertie and Beatrice seem to get on well and also seems to let the other know when they do not want them around. I will watch carefully though.

From what I read females lay eggs whether they are with a male or not. Have I got this wrong? If so I take your point on separating them as I agree not fair. Also thank you for advice on depth of area as this is deeper than I had realised.

You are also right on planning, particularly as this was so unexpected. However, I have discussed this at length with my husband and family members/friends, so incubating the eggs although had to be a quick decision was based on ensuring we had a backup plan. I do have lots of space, but at least two friends are really keen to have one of the torts regardless of sex. Also, we do have contingency plans for the future as Bertie and Beatrice are promised to an 8 year old and 10 year old who see them respectively as theirs. I have also made financial provision for this that also means if they change their minds there are funds for a new home. After all they will probably always outlive us.

I will definitely need to plan for future events as I do not wish to breed to sell. As previously mentioned, I am keen to provide a rescue home if needed at some stage.

Many thanks.

Keep all the comments and thoughts coming.
Jan
Old 22-01-2016, 09:50 PM   #17
Catwoman63
Adult

Good luck with the eggs, but keeping one male with one female I wouldn't recommend with horsfields, the male will constantly pester her and horsfield males are very aggressive in my experience, I would giver her some alone time if it were me x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #18
CherryBrandy
Adult

I think it does depend on the tortoise, age and what their mating ritual is. Part of Horsfields mating can be to bite also which makes them appear aggressive against another species that may just ram. One of my girls suffered such a severe biting that she has a huge abscess on her leg. (all ok now but remains hard lump), that was enough for me to separate them. My 5 males lived very happily together too up until last year when one just went on a biting foray which had not happened before in 20 odd years with them. Fantastic what you are doing Jan! you have two beautiful tortoises there so we know you won't be disappointed if the eggs do or don't hatch regardless! CB
Old 24-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #19
Jan W
Sub Adult

At the moment they seem like friends, but they are around 8 yrs old, so it is helpful to consider what may happen as they get older. As Beatrice is nearly double the size of Bertie she is perhaps the pushy one. We do see her push him aside if he is in her path or if she wants to eat first.
Old 25-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #20
CherryBrandy
Adult

yes you know your tortoises Jan , will know what's ok or isn't for both of them. My girls hanker after the boys over their garden fence. Good job there is hosta shade to cool them all down. CB