Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 28-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #1
rdelusion
Egg

Default How often do tortoises eat?

Hi,

I've had my 2 year old Hermann's now for 6 days. Very active wee thing, very inquisitive and friendly and pooing quite regular however she I'm concerned she's not eating enough.

One day I tried a handful of bagged salad and some brussel sprout leaves. Another day I tried some Pansies and violas (b and q 10p for a tray of bedding plants).

I planted a Viola in the table as well and she attacked it and looked to be having a great time but each time she feeds she really only seems to eat 2 or 3 leaves each time and today she hasn't eaten at all.

Is this anything I should be concerned about or is this normal tortoise behaviour?

I've been feeding her twice a day and removing anything (most of the stuff) after 45 mins.

I have given her a very small amount of strawberry and cucumber just to see if she would eat it as everyone says they love it and she did eat every bit of those two.
rdelusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
Jan W
Sub Adult

One of mine eats every day (she is on the heavier side) and the other does not. Bertie sometimes does not eat for a couple of days. He is a good weight and it took me a long time to realise he needed to decide when he was hungry. As he was so much smaller than the other I kept thinking he was growing so slowly.

Keep in mind mine are Horsfields, so I am sure you will receive some advice from Hermann owners.

I fussed too much and wished I had found this forum a few years ago!

Would love to see a picture. What have you called her?
Jan
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdelusion View Post
Hi,

I've had my 2 year old Hermann's now for 6 days. Very active wee thing, very inquisitive and friendly and pooing quite regular however she I'm concerned she's not eating enough.

One day I tried a handful of bagged salad and some brussel sprout leaves. Another day I tried some Pansies and violas (b and q 10p for a tray of bedding plants).

I planted a Viola in the table as well and she attacked it and looked to be having a great time but each time she feeds she really only seems to eat 2 or 3 leaves each time and today she hasn't eaten at all.

Is this anything I should be concerned about or is this normal tortoise behaviour?

I've been feeding her twice a day and removing anything (most of the stuff) after 45 mins.

I have given her a very small amount of strawberry and cucumber just to see if she would eat it as everyone says they love it and she did eat every bit of those two.

Every new keeper goes through this:0)
Until your tortoise feels really secure and happy, they will not eat. It can take up to a month or more for some, others just a few days. Getting used to a new home and setup is scary for them.
Making sure you bathe your tortoise every day, is far more important at this point than food. They can go weeks without food but not water. Dehydration is the biggest killer in young tortoises.
Feeding fruit and cucumber is satisfying for you, but really bad for tortoises.
Fruit is bad for them, and can upset their gut flora, cucumber is junk food as it has no nutritional value at all. And can be become habit forming if fed too often.
Time and patience is the name of the game here:0)
No healthy tortoise will refuse good foods when they are hungry:0)

You have to think tortoise not human:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
rdelusion
Egg

Thanks for the reply guys. I actually posted this two days ago but my posts still have to be vetted before appearing on the forum and in that time she is eating great. We had to leave her for 12 hours so put her food in and instead of removing it 45 mins later it stayed in all day. By the time I got in it was all away. She's also ate better the next day as well.

We're currently bathing her every 2nd day and have a bowl/bathing pool in her table?

Sorry if this post doesn't appear for another two days but I am replying as soon as I see people have posted
Old 30-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
rdelusion
Egg

I'd post a pic Jan but have no idea how to? Any tips?
Old 31-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
Jan W
Sub Adult

I signed up to photo bucket as I had lots of problems and just could not work it out!

I am not the best at this!

Once you upload a picture to photo bucket, you then share via the one 'Img' (image).

Basically you need an internet address to post pictures and this was the only way I found to do this.

I hope this does not sound double Dutch - it did to me initially and I thought I was IT savvy!

Jan
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
vikki
Hatched

If my two are anything to go by before long you will be asking "when do tortoises stop eating?" Herbie and Daisy are complete pigs and Herbie especially would happily sit eating all day given a chance
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #8
CherryBrandy
Adult

we need photo fix !!! photobucket - upload from computer - enlarge image - select /copy IMG 4th field down on the right and come back to SW - go advanced and paste / then review. Hermanns grow quite quick I find even though they do not surpass eating like Horsfields ! good luck and welcome some photographs , CB
Old 01-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #9
Pussygalore
Adult

In the wild they would be wandering around and nibbling here and there for most of the time weather permitting, in the much smaller space we give them what else do they have to do apart from eat. This is why its so important to give them as much space as poss and as interesting as poss enclosure and a big enclosure outside in the summer, that's the best we can do.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Feeding pansies and viola - you need to watch for them having been sprayed with pesticides and having fertiliser on them or in the compost they come in
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote