Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 15-12-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
ElTortugaDiablo
Egg

Question Trouble Hibernating Horsefield in Mild Winter

Hi all,

We're having a mild winter in the UK and the daytime high temperature is rarely going below 10 Celcius.

I've stopped feeding my Horsfield now in preparation for hibernating him, but I'm worried with the weather is so mild he's not going to slow down much.

If he's still active in a few days should I keep witholding food or should I abort the hibernation and maybe try again in the new year?

Alternatively, if we put him in the fridge to hibernate him, how long is it safe to leave him? We're meant to travel to visit family over Christmas for one, maybe two nights. Would he be okay in the fridge this long with noone opening the door?

Thanks in advance!
ElTortugaDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

I think you may have trouble with him eating now...there will be different views because you of course have options, but if he hasn't fed and not lost loads of weight due to activity I would persevere. You could try ice blocks round the crate/box to reduce temps, not tried this but think some people do that also. Bit hit & miss I think.
you should find the temps in the box will be less than surrounding anyway and though showing 12 here consistently the boxes and those hibernating naturally are much cooler to the touch. if you do fridge he would likely be ok over Christmas. open daily ideal but wouldn't harm for a couple of days , their rate slows right down. CB
Old 16-12-2015, 09:05 AM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

if you decide to hibernate you need to do it very soon as your tort needs to be settled especially if you re going away, have a look at the night temps coming up and if we get a cold one use it to get you hibernating area/box good and cold. Once cold and your tort is in it try to cover it with insulating material so it stays cold if you use the fridge then again get your tort in it well before you're not going to be there and make sure it has a weight on the lid of the box so it can't get out but they can need week or so to properly settle down so you really need to be there to keep an eye on them hence the 'decide soon'.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hibernation length