Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 10-05-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
sophielady
Egg

Send a message via MSN to sophielady
Default New Home Idea!

Hi everybody,

As soome of you know I currently need a new home for Jonny as I have a vivarium. We were going to transform it but we saw at the petshop they had large indoor rabbit cages for £38 so we thought why not?

Do you think this would be suitable for him? He's a Herman and loves to bury himself, so I know there's hemp, soil/sand and oyster shells. What would be best for him? I know if I use hemp I need something else in the water area so it doesn't go mouldy. So maybe it would be better to use maybe hemp and sand/soil just so it's not all samey.

Any advice would be great

Thanks,

Sophie x
sophielady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

a lot of people use indoor cages, the wire comes in handy for hanging lights on and the whole thing is light and secure enough to be put outside when the weather is nice, stones/pebbles are good around the water they help to keep the water a bit cleaner.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
rachel30b
Sub Adult

rabbit cages are good but you could make one alot cheaper if you went to says jacksons and they would cut the wood to size for you i made one for about 15 pound and its 42 x 24 inches, go them to cut wood to size came home and nailed it together,

hemp one and sand/soil other end is good idea
rachel30b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
kelly123
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to kelly123 Send a message via Yahoo to kelly123
Default indoor home

hi my herman have indoor cage it a very large guinne pig cage for when weather is to cold out and they have there new outside encloser that i iam still in the process of completeing
you can use either but they do do better outside has i been advice of many on the site

regards kelly
HERMANN TORTOISE ,SONYA CLEO ,HERCULES XENA farewell to my warrior and thankyou for trying gone but forever in our hearts. LEOPARDS 4 farewell to my leos they had to go back but was happy to of help them in this short time
kelly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
sophielady
Egg

Send a message via MSN to sophielady

OK thanks

I think my mums taking me to get the stuff tomorrow can't wait till he's happy my poor fella! Unfortunatly I am at college ost days but when I'm not my boyfriend and dad are at work and I wouldn't know where to start with an outdoor enclosure :S I have a lot coming up before the half term but hopefully half term will suppy me and my mum the perfect time to attempt an outdoor enclosure I shall keep you all informed and if it's a disaster I'll need tips! Hehe

Sophie x x
sophielady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:10 PM   #6
jackjordandylan
Incubating

Hi Sophie, good luck with the cage and hope you have lots of fun putting things together! Let us see some pics once you've completed it!!
jackjordandylan is offline   Reply With Quote