Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 02-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Bootfit
Egg

Default tort on back...

As the weather is so nice at the moment I've decided to leave Higgins out in his outside enclosure while I'm at work.

I've just had a phone call from my girlfriend saying she was checking on him before she goes to work and found him on his back. I'm a bit worried now as she won't be getting home until later this afternoon.

Does anyone else leave their torts unnattended throughout the day and find them on their back when they get home? How long can they last on their backs in this heat??
Bootfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Yes they wouldn't last long in the direct sun

It's best if they don't have stuff they can climb on and fall off and best if there are things all around that they can reach to get a hold of.

The one in that link stands upright and falls backwards, it has a flatter shell than my other tort so maybe that's why it struggles to get up again
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Cav3
Incubating

One of my babes did that yesterday, it's really worrying. I was home though and just doing a routine check, half their enclosure is in the shade but she decided to fall on her back in the full sun! How long she had been like this I dread to think, but I was there so no real harm was done. It has made me sort of paranoid now though, I think whilst this heat and sun keeps up I shall bring them in when I go out, better to be safe than sorry. I wonder if this is a youngster trait? I have never found either of my older two on their backs.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Bootfit
Egg

Right thats it - I'm driving home to check on him.

Probably find him lazing in the sun with a gin.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
freakinmental
Juvenile

my pebble did that yesterday too he hasnt figured out how to turn himself back again yet and it is worrying, he was inside in his table (as i was going out) with his lights on luckily my sis came home and righted him! i dont wanna keep turning his lights on and off all the time but i'm worried now for when i do go out! Do i need to keep his heat light when he is inside in this warm/hot weather or should i just leave his uv on, on its own?

freakinmental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
dae
Hatchling

Hiya,

Am I right in saying that it's not only the heat that will be dangerous to them but I think that when they are on their back for any length of time their Lungs may be compressed and they might struggle to breath too?

A herd of Horsefields

Radiata- Humperdink & friends

A Bengal Kitten called Anakin
dae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by dae View Post
Hiya,

Am I right in saying that it's not only the heat that will be dangerous to them but I think that when they are on their back for any length of time their Lungs may be compressed and they might struggle to breath too?
Yes I have read that their lungs are too heavy or something
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
Cav3
Incubating

yep I think your dead right, when upside down the other organs lay on top of the lungs and compress them therefore making it hard to breath
Old 02-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
Beverley
Adult

Tortoises have a totally different breathing mechanism to us and being in on their backs will not stop them breathing, it may be uncomfortable but they could do this for long enough.
Its the heat, full sun or under a heat lamp that will do real damage, always give a bath if you see this to ensure they are hydrated, especially the young ones.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
Bootfit
Egg

Hey everyone got home to find Higgins as expected lazing in the sun and in no bother. Had to be sure though.

I was wrong about the gin though. Turns out he's a martini drinker!