Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 18-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
JawsMew
Egg

Default totally confuzzled with what to do!

Help!
I was asked to rehouse an elderly couples tort. I agreed when I heard that all he need was a dog kennel, weeds and lettuce. They had him for 40 years and rehomed him from their neighbours who moved. Since agreeing to have him / her I of course wanted to know more and make sure that I gave the tort the best care. Sooooo since posting on here and reading I feel unbelievably nervous and worried. I have brought a wooden outdoor tort house which he can go in and out. He has free range in my walled garden ... complete with weeds. But I am just concerned that I do not have space indoors to have a set up for him as the more I read the more I am thinking I should have a lamp for him to bask under. I was told he was an Algerian Spur or whitei or Graeca Graeca (still getting my head around species). He is a lovely size and has been eating and trotting around my garden.
I feel such a huge responsibility for him. I gave this elderly couple my word that my home would be his forever home and I would always look after him. I am willing to learn and invest time into his welfare. I just want him to be happy.
What would you do? How would you set up his home? Would you keep him outside all the time like the previous 40 plus years? Would you give him access to a lamp? Can you use a lamp outside? I am more nervous looking after him than I am when my own c hildren were born! I would never forgive myself if I didn't care for him properly and this has an effect on his health. I have only had him a few days but my heart is already bursting with jelly beans when I look at him. I am in love.
<a href="http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/Karah_Mew/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140417_161006_zps7c0762a4.jp
JawsMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
Mrs Frog
Adult

If it were me I would keep things the same as it is used to,but I would try and gradually change its food if it wasnt right and obviously add calcium and vitamins and then when it is too cold (this is only my opinion) I would have a vivarium with one door left open and I would have hear and uv bulbs in there so it would have the option,I would place the vivarium on the floor so it could go in and out,when it is warm I would let it use the outside house that you have provided and add a heat bulb if possible,give it some comfortable bedding and make his home cosy outside and then play it by ear,you will gain confidence and at the same time the tortoise will adapt,and you will get used to its little habits etc,you are doing a good job,show the previous owners that you are going to do this like you promised
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Mrs Frog
Adult

meant to say that the vivarium would be indoors and in the room nearest to the garden x
Old 18-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
Suze65
Adult

I agree with Mrs frog ( Jackie ) and I used to have one of these torts.
He/she will be just fine in your walled garden for the summer with the house you have got him.
I personally would be inclined to let him have a short hibernation , so long as his health and weight are good by September. But don't worry about that now, you got time to do more research .

Just let her settle in and relax ( that's you ) make the changes to diet slowly.

That's what I would do

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediterraneansuze View Post
I agree with Mrs frog ( Jackie ) and I used to have one of these torts.
He/she will be just fine in your walled garden for the summer with the house you have got him.
I personally would be inclined to let him have a short hibernation , so long as his health and weight are good by September. But don't worry about that now, you got time to do more research .

Just let her settle in and relax ( that's you ) make the changes to diet slowly.

That's what I would do
If this tortoise has hibernated for the last 40 odd years, then they might not have a choice:0)
But I agree with the hibernation even if its for a short time:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
JawsMew
Egg

He / she has always hibernated. 40 years possibly more. Thank you for your help folks
Old 18-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
Mrs Frog
Adult

it will let you know when it wants to go into hibernation.A tort would rather have a novice owner but willing to learn and do things right rather than an "Expert" who knows it all and cannot adapt to the tortoises needs x
Old 18-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
JawsMew
Egg

Thank you. I think it's a she. It has a stumpy short tail and flat bottom, if that makes sense? She has been roaming my whole garden since yesterday. I have seen her eat lots of dandelion and dip into the large flat water bowl I have put out. If a complete beginner can say it ... but I think she looks happy!
Old 18-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawsMew View Post
Thank you. I think it's a she. It has a stumpy short tail and flat bottom, if that makes sense? She has been roaming my whole garden since yesterday. I have seen her eat lots of dandelion and dip into the large flat water bowl I have put out. If a complete beginner can say it ... but I think she looks happy!
She sounds happy to me

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
Pussygalore
Adult

if the weather changes to rain and cold as predicted don't be surprised if you don't see the tort, without a heated house outside it will either dig down somewhere or stay in its house. They can vanish very quickly and easily and finding them if they can be very hard if at all, you just have to wait untill they appear again. The other choice is to keep an eye on the forecast and bring the tort inside which is why those who don't have outside heating have a table or similar set up inside for such weather. Its also still pretty cold at night with a risk of frosts again the tort will be ok as long as it can either dig down or use a well sheltered house but it won't come out unless the sun comes out as it will just be to cold to move. I don't know where you are but here in the midland they have just predicted a ground frost and the rain as promised, I'd really think about providing somewhere inside for those cold days and nights if you can't put heat outside, I suppose even a box over night would do untill you have something more permanent. A tort that is exposed to frost without protection can suffer and in prolonged cold can actually become blind, make sure its dug down or shut in its house before night time. Sorry if I'm sounding fussy but your tort will have known where it was safe to spend the nights, safe from flooding, cold and predators, he won't know the best places in his new garden for a while and if he gets cold before finding a place he could be to cold to move and dig etc, its important then that you make sure he's protected, dry and warm untill he finds his own place. I always shut mine in their shed at night and they had always put themselves to bed before I shut the shed up, I knew where they were, and were safe and warm untill the morning and as a tort won't move after its gone to sleep it might as well get used to being shut in its house untill the morning

Last edited by Pussygalore; 18-04-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote