Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 17-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Herpard
Adult

I have mixed Horsfields and Hermanns in the past with no problems. They lived together for over a year untill i rehomed Homer to a family friend.

i know of some people that mix Leopards, Hermanns, Horsfields and Spur thighs, He's done so for years.
Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Just a question: We see many zoo exhibits with mixed species, often sulcatas, aladabras, galapogoses and leopards; red foots, elongateds, hingebacks and yellow foots; and sometimes hermann's and spur thighs. Now my question is, besides from the risk of parasites and stuff(especially as quite a lot will be WC), if these animals are mixed, surely there is a risk of crossbreeding, yet I have never seen a crossbred tortoise at a zoo?
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLINTUS View Post
Just a question: We see many zoo exhibits with mixed species, often sulcatas, aladabras, galapogoses and leopards; red foots, elongateds, hingebacks and yellow foots; and sometimes hermann's and spur thighs. Now my question is, besides from the risk of parasites and stuff(especially as quite a lot will be WC), if these animals are mixed, surely there is a risk of crossbreeding, yet I have never seen a crossbred tortoise at a zoo?
Perhaps there all the same sex
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #14
Herpard
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLINTUS View Post
The Welsh Mountain Zoo have leopards and redfoots living together, when they collected an aggressive male horsfield from me the bloke said they had been mixed for over 40 years. They also mix horsfields, hermanns and spurthighs. When I went to see Tony he was in a pen with a few female hermanns. They didn't quarantine him but did take him to a vet in Liverpool to have a health check (which they do with all new reptiles)

Oh and I didn't say I just threw them in together, they had a quarantine of 8 months, had both been checked up by a vet and were both wormed.

I wouldn't recommend mixing if they're wc but if captive bred and have the same requirements and are a similar size I don't see a problem just as long as the male to female ratio is ok if you have a male in a group.
Old 18-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
Gordon
Adult

I never understand why people put these posts up as all they do is get the same response so unless you practice it already or are going to either way you are always going to get the same answers
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
pagan queen
Adult

I was under the impression that different species were "built" differently. They have different mating rituals and these can cause damage to another species shell. For instance I know that some torts ram the female and others I think flip another male whilst vying for the same female. Is this not the case?
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #17
Herpard
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnip View Post
I never understand why people put these posts up as all they do is get the same response so unless you practice it already or are going to either way you are always going to get the same answers
All I did was ask a question (which I got an answer) but people get on their soap boxes saying not to mix breeds. People have been mixing tortoises for years. Yes there's a risk but there's also a risk mixing same breeds.

If people were like tortoises black, White & Asian people wouldn't be able to mix because of different diesiese. Same as cats and dogs, birds, cattle, horses ect.

If I'm honest I am sick to death of this forum and it's bitchiness it's stuck in the stone age. Don't do this, don't do that, people get slated more than they get helped.

Think I may stop coming on here. I get more help on the Facebook groups I'm joined on.
Old 18-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #18
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnip View Post
The original question was hypothetical, in that she asked would you need an A10 for cross breed torts. There was no one saying they had intentions of cross breeding. I think it was an interesting question.
I also think the forum is great for healthy debate. Everyone has a chance to put their opinion across and no one gets banned because they don't agree.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #19
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
The original question was hypothetical, in that she asked would you need an A10 for cross breed torts. There was no one saying they had intentions of cross breeding. I think it was an interesting question.
I also think the forum is great for healthy debate. Everyone has a chance to put their opinion across and no one gets banned because they don't agree.
I am well aware of what the original post said but what i was saying was every time posts come up that have the words crossbreeding. mixing etc they get jumped on, not i wish to state by me. maybe a bit more thought might not go amiss as to the answers you will get
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #20
Catwoman63
Adult

I dont know very much about cross breeding as i only have 1 breed of tortoise living together, but what i will say is that i have seen so many times over the years mixed breeds of tortoise living together, whether that is ok or not i dont know and so cant make a comment, I would imagine that crossing breeding tortoises that require an a10 cert invalidates the a10, but i dont know as not experienced with a10 tortoises, it is just a guess x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote