Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 15-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
neildunne
Incubating

Default Hi guys, a 'wet behind the ears' newbie here lol

Hello everyone! I'd like to intoduce myself, my name's Neil and due to unforseen circumstances, am now the proud owner of a little tortoise. Three weeks ago my older sister passed away unfortunatly after a short illness. She lived on her own with the little fellow she called Phil. Originally my mum took the tortoise with every good intention of looking after him herself, but realised there was more to it than she first thought. She was going to offer him to a local pet shop but i couldn't let her do it as my sister thought so much about him, and i see him as being part of her. I'll admit im in need of some help, and am asking if you could give me a few pointers to help get me started. I have done a little reading up on the internet and i just hope a i am getting things right. I will try and upload some photo's with this post to see if they can help with any advice. The substrate in his table is 2/3 topsoil to 1/3 soft sand. I have a heat bulb which keeps the temp through the day at approx 90fh/30c, and a uv tube, which i leave on for approx 14 hours a day. He doesnt seem to be eating though which at the moment is my main concern! I collected him on Tuesday evening from my mums and i haven't seen him eat yet, even though he is quite active. I am feeding him at the moment on fresh veg from the grocer and dandelion leaves sprinkled with nutrabol which i read about on this site. I have ordered a seed mix from Shelled Warriors ebay site, and am waiting for these to arrive so i can attempt to grow them and give him the proper nutrition he needs. If the photo's upload, can anyone tell me if he is a Hermanns or a Hosefields? Im not to sure, but i think a Hermanns!? Any help or advice will be greatfully appreciated, as i'd be beside myself if anything was to happen to the little fellow as my sister thought so much about him, and i've got to admit......i'm also quite attatched to him now....

neildunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
alicia
Adult

hello neil. im really sorry to hear about your sister, i think it's nice you have this little guy to remind you of her.

the little tortoise you have is a horse field, im not sure on sex as im not a 'horsefield person' the set up you have is perfect.

im sure a horse field keeper will reply soon to answer any questions you may have.

best wishes

alice

0.0.2 graeca ibera
alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

firstly welcome. this is a great site and very friendly.

secondly for a complete novice you seem to have pretty the basic's covered....i was expects to read that he is kept in a vivarium with gravel and fed on nothing but fruit. you seems to be doing a very good job and i am syre your sister would be pround of you for taking him on and looking after him as well as you are.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
Amanda
Hatched

Really glad you kept him for yourself, as you say, he's a part of your sister and I am sure he will probably outlive you too.
Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
sandy
Adult

Welcome, sorry to hear about the sad circumstances you aquired your tortoise.
Lots of info on here, great weed section.
For further info try www.thetortoisehouse.com and www.tortoises.net
Horsfields (russian) like to bury down in substrate, it needs to be deepish. Diet is weeds weeds
and more weeds. Fruit can upset the gut flora balance, and cabbage family can inhibit the
absortion of calcium the their bones.
Bathing regularly helps keep them hydrated and helps the appeitite.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Amanda
Hatched

Bathing also makes them wee and poo LOL
Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
Toni115
Adult

welcome from me
so sorry to hear about your sister,
You are doing her proud, and she would be so happy to know the little fellow is being well cared for well done
Old 15-02-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
neildunne
Incubating

Default Thank-You Very Much!!

Thanks very much guys for your extremely fast replys. I think i feel a little more confidant in knowing that i am aiming in the right direction with him. I hope to gain as much knowledge as posible cos this little guy means the world to me. I never thought i'd be the proud dad (lol) of a little tortoise, but fate has deemed it this way and i must say i'm starting to enjoy it. I really am concerned though at him not eating though!
neildunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #9
Toni115
Adult

Give him a while, he may just be adjusting to his new surroundings
Old 15-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #10
sandy
Adult

Yes some torts take a while to ajust to a new home, as temps etc are different.
Just keep up the bathing as I am sure he/she will eat.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote