Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 28-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
cherylahutch
Adult

Default Rns

I have been chatting to someone about rns. If a tortoise gets it then it's treated do they become a carrier? She has a star with it he's a rescue and it's being treated it goes away but keeps coming back. I know nothing about it really except the bubbles from the nose etc to look out for and thankfully have never had to find out. It just made me wonder if they would always be a carrier of it.
Old 28-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
zx4g
Hatchling

If it's RNS I would think so. Nebulising with F10 is very helpful for rns tho a vets opinion should be sort.
Old 28-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
cherylahutch
Adult

She has been to vets and its being treated with injections, she seems to know what she is doing which is great she rehomes rescues as far as I know. I was just wondering if it would make the tortoise a carrier once it was better.
Old 28-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #4
Catwoman63
Adult

I've heard that once a tort has had it then they are likely to get it again and give it to others.

On the other hand, When I first got my golden Greeks a couple of them developed a runny nose within a week, probably due to the stress of change, I treated with antibiotics, nasal saline spray and nebuliser and they have been perfectly clear ever since, and they have spent time together and no sign of runny noses, so I'm not concerned x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
cherylahutch
Adult

I am hopefully getting some stars for my birthday but I can only get female from the breeder and I want to breed eventually they are just babies so it will be a long time in the future He put me in touch with the lady with the male. I would house them separately anyway but I was worried that he might infect the girls when they are old enough to be in the same place. I guess I will have had them all for a while before they would be at risk. Is it just contagious when they are suffering or like cold or flu with us and can be passed around on hands and things? Also if they do get it and it's treated straight away is it likely to not be a serious thing with them? Obviously the horsfields are not going to be in contact with them but what if they are in the same room? I always wash my hands etc ( I think I am a bit OCD about it lol) in between cleaning the two groups houses and if I do anything with my geckos then tortoises would that be all I needed to worry about with them. She is not going to sell him on until she has him fit and well but I wonder if I would be better holding out for a different male or trying to get that one because at least I know she is being honest enough to have told me rather than someone not. She also said that Stars were more prone to it which I found interesting I wonder if it is there shape because I was told leopards were as well and they are a similar high shell shape. It's all really interesting stuff.

Bit of a mine field really isn't it xx
Old 28-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
cherylahutch
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
I've heard that once a tort has had it then they are likely to get it again and give it to others.

On the other hand, When I first got my golden Greeks a couple of them developed a runny nose within a week, probably due to the stress of change, I treated with antibiotics, nasal saline spray and nebuliser and they have been perfectly clear ever since, and they have spent time together and no sign of runny noses, so I'm not concerned x
Thanks for that really pleased yours is ok now :0)
Old 28-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #7
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylahutch View Post
I am hopefully getting some stars for my birthday but I can only get female from the breeder and I want to breed eventually they are just babies so it will be a long time in the future He put me in touch with the lady with the male. I would house them separately anyway but I was worried that he might infect the girls when they are old enough to be in the same place. I guess I will have had them all for a while before they would be at risk. Is it just contagious when they are suffering or like cold or flu with us and can be passed around on hands and things? Also if they do get it and it's treated straight away is it likely to not be a serious thing with them? Obviously the horsfields are not going to be in contact with them but what if they are in the same room? I always wash my hands etc ( I think I am a bit OCD about it lol) in between cleaning the two groups houses and if I do anything with my geckos then tortoises would that be all I needed to worry about with them. She is not going to sell him on until she has him fit and well but I wonder if I would be better holding out for a different male or trying to get that one because at least I know she is being honest enough to have told me rather than someone not. She also said that Stars were more prone to it which I found interesting I wonder if it is there shape because I was told leopards were as well and they are a similar high shell shape. It's all really interesting stuff.

Bit of a mine field really isn't it xx
I have one of my horsfields in the same room as one of my golden Greeks, and they are just fine, they do have their own washing bowls for baths, their own towels, trowels, sparayers, cleaning sponges etcetera, I don't overdo the disinfecting of hands business, I just wash my hands in washing up liquid.....I've had no problems in the 9 months I've had the Greeks....and they are a more sensitive species I found

I've heard stars are prone to RNS.....if I remember was it stars you had before and redfoots or was it just stars? X

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 11:39 PM   #8
cherylahutch
Adult

I had both but when I got ill I sold them and the redfoots I wasn't in a good place and to be honest was selling them thinking I wouldn't be here to look after them, luckily the horsfields didn't get sold because my husband didn't let me. I really regret it now I am doing better but there is a lot I regret from when I was ill, thankfully I have a great husband who knows how much I miss them so is letting me look into some more I have all the time in the world to look after them as we have decided I will stay at home and not work from now on the kids are only 4 and 9 so still need mummy anyway and I am enjoying being here for them and my pets. Really would love to breed stars as well as the horsfields. I have bred my Geckos as well which has all worked out nicely and I am finding it really rewarding :0) xx