Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Ask The Experts > Identification/Sexing.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
Suze65
Adult

It might take a few days before he starts to eat, but drinking is a good start, he is super cute , wish I could come and see him.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #22
burnt toast
Adult

Aww what a lovely old tort Lottey, well done for stepping in to help. Might you keep him or are you giving him back? Its surprising how many non hibernating spur thighs are & have been hibernated for years & years

I would keep bathing him regularly, keep him warm & offer smelly tempng food: cucmber, tomatoe, maybe a grape? Just to get him back into eating. I hope he comes round
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #23
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Ross was kind of close it's a Moroccan spur thigh, Testudo graeca marokkensis. Still he shouldn't be hibernated.

It is always surprising Lynn but you have to think of the other 999 out of a 1000 that sadly didn't make it.

Danny
Old 07-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #24
Lottey
Incubating

Thank you. I have been reading as much as poss about Tunisians, tomorrow I will look for info on Moroccan.

How often would you recommend I bath him and for how long? I don't want to over do it if they should be kept dry. Although his eyes look quite bright his skin is showing signs of dehydration.

How is his weight please?
Lottey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #25
Lottey
Incubating

[QUOTE=burnt toast;599555]Aww what a lovely old tort Lottey, well done for stepping in to help. Might you keep him or are you giving him back? Its surprising how many non hibernating spur thighs are & have been hibernated for years & years /QUOTE]

I would hope to give him back, I hate seeing little old ladies trying not to cry but with tears running down her face. Hopefully they will listen and we can get a good set up for him. Also I would worry about all my contact with the margies, I would hate to pass anything on to him.

He has gone to bed now. Such a cutie. Every thing crossed that he has a bite to eat tomorrow.

I do not understand how they managed to survive for so many years.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #26
burnt toast
Adult

It is always surprising Lynn but you have to think of the other 999 out of a 1000 that sadly didn't make it.

I wasnt condoning it Dan. Surprises me how many I have seen at health checks & the owners look at you gone out if you suggest the are a non hibernating species/subspecies They usually retort with " well hes been doing it the last fifty years" Guess it just shows the resilience of some torts.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #27
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

His weight is very good as he's not far off the average of 512g for his size. You can keep soaking him twice a day until he starts to eat.

I know you weren't Lynn

Danny
Old 07-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #28
burnt toast
Adult

[QUOTE=Lottey;599567]
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Aww what a lovely old tort Lottey, well done for stepping in to help. Might you keep him or are you giving him back? Its surprising how many non hibernating spur thighs are & have been hibernated for years & years /QUOTE]

I would hope to give him back, I hate seeing little old ladies trying not to cry but with tears running down her face. Hopefully they will listen and we can get a good set up for him. Also I would worry about all my contact with the margies, I would hate to pass anything on to him.

He has gone to bed now. Such a cutie. Every thing crossed that he has a bite to eat tomorrow.

I do not understand how they managed to survive for so many years.
I hope you can help him Lottey. Out of interest do you know where he has been hibernated & for how long?

(its been a very harsh winter this year, which I suppose doesnt help )
Old 07-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #29
Lottey
Incubating

I am not 100% sure, we didn't speak for that long. She has some sort of summer house, but definitely not frosty.

I am sure they would have been hibernated with the weather, so Nov/Dec to 3 weeks ago. However they were then put in a conservatory which although it has a heater still gets cold at night, plus we have not had that much sunshine to get the conservatory nice and hot in the day.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #30
EJ
Adult

Looks quite well now... nice urates... if that makes sense to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottey View Post
Success!!

Thank you for all your help. Hopeful now that he might eat tomorrow.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote