Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 25-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Default Something to think about if you're a driver

a friend of my wife had an accident which wasn't her fault, she called the police in and they charged HER with driving without insurance because she was using it to go to work and the insurance didn't cover her for that. It covers her for Social, Domestic and pleasure not Social Domestic, Pleasure and Commuting. She had been unaware of it. She should have said she was going to the shops as she was in town anyway

Last edited by Alan1; 25-10-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

does that include a part time cleaning Job?
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

not sure. this woman was a home help, sometimes she could walk between places and further apart places she took the car
Old 25-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
swad1000
Adult

If she travels to more than one place of business in her job she needs business use.

And yes Anne you should have commuting on your insurance.

Commuting doesn't normally increase the premium, at least I've never known it to, and I sold a few insurance policies in my time.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by swad1000 View Post
If she travels to more than one place of business in her job she needs business use
I think it may have been that rather than the commuting thing, I'm not sure. She had neither of those anyway. She was employed by someone, she wasn't self employed, don't know if that would make a difference, obviously not since she got charged. I doubt any of them who work there will be properly insured (well maybe they will now )
Old 25-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
lizzy k
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
I think it may have been that rather than the commuting thing, I'm not sure. She had neither of those anyway. She was employed by someone, she wasn't self employed, don't know if that would make a difference, obviously not since she got charged. I doubt any of them who work there will be properly insured (well maybe they will now )
I'm employed by an organisation, but I still have to have my car covered by business insurance. This covers me if I drive from my office to a clients house, or a meeting, or even between projects my organisation own. A colleague recently hit our Managers (oops) car as she was going to visit a client. She thought she had business cover but didn't so she wasn't covered, and had to pay the repairs out of her own pocket. However if she had been leaving the car park to go home she would have been covered!. Most social and domestic insurance policies cover you to/from work only.
Old 25-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Coolsox
Hatched

This is something I have to explain to clients on a daily basis - welcome to my world!

Social, Domestic and pleasure - cover for personal / pleasure use only. Any use in conjunction with a job or occupation is excluded.

Social, Domestic and pleasure including commuting. As above but also covers the policyholder to drive to ONE SINGLE place of work only. This doesn't include meetings, training days or erronds imposed by your employer.

Class 1 business use - as above but DOES cover the policy holder to travel to other places of work, training days and meetings etc.

Basically, most professionals require Class 1 use. Costs to add this to your policy vary, but shouldn't cost much (i've even had cases where the insurer hasn't charged anything).

Another insurance myth i'll clarify is that where people think they can drive another car because they have Comprehensive cover - this is not true and care should be taken. This cover can be provided even on a Third party only policy - it depends on the insurer if you get it. Check your Certificate of insurance to see if the wording is there! It is commonly excluded for those under 25, HGV drivers and those in the motor trade. Also it is not provided on a Commercial Vehicle policy.

/Work Mode

Proud owner of 3 Hermanns, Kaia, Naja & Dax
Coolsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

How would it work if she'd been intending on going to the co-op, getting some shopping, leaving her car there and walking to her next client?
Old 25-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #9
Coolsox
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
How would it work if she'd been intending on going to the co-op, getting some shopping, leaving her car there and walking to her next client?
These are the kind of questions I face everyday - people trying to find a scenario to prevent having to pay to have the proper use.

It would depend on the circumstances - would the policy holder have driven to the clients house anyway, even if she didn't have to make the trip to the supermarket, or would she normally walk the journey anyway?

Having the wrong use on your car insurance can lead to all sorts of problems:

Pulled over by the police and given a motoring conviction (IN10) if they know you are driving without the correct insurance in place.

Any claims for your vehicle refused

And, most seriously:

The insurer has an obligation to deal with any Third Party claims but, if they decide that you have lied about the use of your vehicle and they decide that they will not insure you, they have a right of recovery against you.

Right of recovery means that any claims for Third party damage, Personal Injury, Loss of earnings etc etc that the insurers have to pay out following your accident, they can take you to court and get you to pay them back.

So - pay an extra £15 (for example) to add business use to your policy or risk loosing your house and possessions when the Insurers try to recover £10,000 that they paid out.

Proud owner of 3 Hermanns, Kaia, Naja & Dax
Coolsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

definitely worth paying the extra. will they charge another £20 to amend your current policy as happens when you change your car outwith the renewal time?