Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 16-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Default Osteoarthritis

Does anyone on here have, or know someone who, suffers from osteoarthritis? I have just had x-rays to confirm that I do and just wondered how many other people do.
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Jess222
Hatched

My nan has it in her knees, she had a knee replacement a couple years ago. I used to work in the orthopaedic clinics in outpatients so know a fair bit about it if u wanna know anything x

Mom to:

1 beardie - The Beast
3 cats (Bandit, Custard and Honey)

Jess222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

X rays showed it in both my knees last year, I started taking the 1500mg Glucosamine and honestly haven't had any pain for several months, enough to start jogging again without strapping on both knees. I also take a high dose cod liver oil capsule, I buy them from Simply Supplements and a year supply was very cheap, they also do a Glucosamine which has other things in with it, sorry can't remember the name, and I'll be trying them next time.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
yuna1971
Adult

Is this something that affects the bone?? xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

It secondarily affects bone Rach. Osteoarthritis is a wearing out of the cartilage between bones (joints). So that after a while its bone rubbing on bone which makes a joint very painful to use.

Danny
Old 16-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareandCo View Post
Does anyone on here have, or know someone who, suffers from osteoarthritis? I have just had x-rays to confirm that I do and just wondered how many other people do.
Sorry to hear that, I have been taking glucosamine 1000mg a day for a few years, as had pain and stiffness in knee joints, I also take 1000mg of calcium, and I don't feel the pain as much anymore so they seem to work x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
yuna1971
Adult

I think I had this when I was a child. Osteomyelitis ...is what I had I think. It was new then, like 1976 or something. The docs were perplexed..they had not encountered it before. I was 5 and for a while in a wheelchair.
However I ate the girl in the next bed's fish fingers... She didn't want them so I had it ...And I got a new playpeople set from my mum and dad. I made a full recovery but still have a scar on my foot and get pains there in the cold weather.

Anyways...xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 16-03-2013 at 10:19 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
pagan queen
Adult

Osteomyelitis is a bone infection caused by bacteria or fungus. It is caused by a cut or sore getting infected and the infection gets into the bone.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
rocio
Hatchling

I too have osteoarthritis which is one of the main reasons we came to Spain. My GP told me 12 years ago that I should emigrate to either California or Spain. So Spain it was. At that time I used to suffer in the cold weather with joint pain in my hands and knees but once living here, all that stopped and after 11 years the joint pains have returned especially in my knees where the cartilage is all but gone. I used to take glucosamine but don't anymore as nothing repairs cartilage so am just moving up the pain relief spectrum and have gone from paracetamol to ibuprofen and as they no longer dull the pain I now take voltarol 50mg every morning and can then get through most of the day, otherwise I can't move. A knee replacement may be on the cards in the future. I hate taking voltarol every day but have no option if I want to stay a happy bunny!
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
Pussygalore
Adult

well i'm a great advertisement for the success of Glucosamine, I don't know for how long but religously take the supplement, without them I had real trouble getting up and down stairs. I hadn't been able to sit in the bath for years as I couldn't bend my knees enough to sit and get up, haven't been able to kneel for along time, but my knees are so much better now that I now can kneel for a short while. I gave up on the bath idea though and am happy with a shower although I do miss a nice long soak. My doctor said that there wasn't any evidence that my slow jogging made the disease progress any faster so as long as I feel ok to carry on. Excersise is good overall especially as I have Diabetes so I'll cycle, walk and jog for as long as I'm able, I don't want to take more powerfull painkillers so while the supplements are worth trying I'll carry on with them.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote