Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 08-11-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
alicia
Adult

Default 2 new members of the alice family =]

hi every one, at the weekend i got 2 male dumbo rats

they are so cute and supprisingly (even though the were in a shop for 4months ) really tame

here a few pics of rod (the white rat) and tod (they white and grey rat)
(asleep next to me on the sofa, i woke him up though taking this picture lol)

i hope u like

0.0.2 graeca ibera
alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
Toni115
Adult

Ooooh I love ratties they are adorable you are lucky,
I used to keep them but suddenly developed an allergy to them, if I go near them now my eyes all swell up
Old 08-11-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

they look really gre no nibbles in the ears which is common in these. do u no there age. and do u ahve hay in with them or just the sawdust.
also are they being fed a petshop rat mix or ur own mix. also i wud be carewith plastic in ur cage. i keep rats my self and they have always escaped those plastic bottom tray cages. i use full glass fish tanks for mind now. there about £15 from pet at home.

sorry for the questions but i no a few people that have had rats short lived due to the wrong care. not that urs is of course
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
alicia
Adult

haha thats ok, the cage u see in the pic was temp, just to let them settle in! i have them on recycled, dust free rodent stuff now haha!they are fed on rat nuggets from pets at home! i think there 5 - 6 months old also there in a larger cage wich i hope they wont get out of, ive had loads of rats before, just theese are my new additions

i hope i answered all those haha!

0.0.2 graeca ibera
Old 08-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #5
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

yea they seem fine.....dumbos live about 3 years so u got a them at the right age. my larger boas have a soft spot for dumbo rats sorry.

i wud not feed them the rat nuggets.....with all my rodents i make my own food for them whicht hey love and seems to keep them in good shape....easy to make can tell if u want. hopefully the alrger cage will be ok.

they look great tho.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
alicia
Adult

lol, wel i felt really sorry for them, the woman in the shop said that every one wanted standard rats after that new film out rattatui( i wont attempt to spell that again haha) and where my two are double the size of the babie ones nobody wanted them

appart from me ofcourse haha, i thought they were so pretty! but apparently they had been in the shop for about 4 months.

what do you feed yours though?
did u say u had rats?? got any pics??

x
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yea they seem fine.....dumbos live about 3 years so u got a them at the right age. my larger boas have a soft spot for dumbo rats sorry.

i wud not feed them the rat nuggets.....with all my rodents i make my own food for them whicht hey love and seems to keep them in good shape....easy to make can tell if u want. hopefully the alrger cage will be ok.

they look great tho.

0.0.2 graeca ibera
Old 09-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

similar story with mind, but i had them becuase no one else wud becuase they were so aggressive. if u do a search i think u will find some pics of mine on here.

i keep quite alot of rodents mice,hamsters,rats and all mine are fed on the same stuff as if u read the back of one of these rodent food mix's then u will see that there full of bad stuff which can shorten the naimals life.

20% rodent mix
30% dried fruit (not veg)
10% sunflower seeds
10% savoury seeds
15 % meat
10% grass (alf alfa)
5% nuts

these ani't the excalt measure ments but a very rough one. i have been feeding mine this for about 6 years now and they are much better for it.
you still wanna give them the rodent mix as ther eare a few things that are good in it ,such as it helped clump there poo together. the dried fruit can be brought from tesco's and if u look on them it actualy tells u which dried fruit is good for which part of the body (rats are mammals and so it helps them aswell) i normally use banna and exotic fruits. if u use fresh fruits then it gives them a tummy ache and sloppy poo.
sunflower seeds can be changed of course to pumkins or what ever you think is best as these type of seeds help bone development.
savoury seeds are very bitter and rodents eat alot of sugerry sweet foods so these will help even the balance.
the meat shud be given to them in meal worms from a petshop....only give them dead dried ones that are used for feeding wild birds.....if u look on the pack of any rodent foods then they contian no meat at all which they really do need and in the wild it makes up at least 50% of there diet. alf alfa is great and is full of fat so becareful that they aren't too fat but with only this much they shud be fine.....again so are now adding grass's into there foods but grass in the wild is like the other 50% of what they would eat.
monkey nuts are the best for entertianment value as they take a while to get into them. but don't use peanuts or any flavoured nut.

hope that helps
Old 09-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
alicia
Adult

that sounds pretty good, someones taking a trip to a supermarket!!
thanks ..

0.0.2 graeca ibera
Old 09-11-2007, 01:53 PM   #9
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

no worries.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
Lilacarchie