Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 08-08-2016, 09:36 PM   #1
Anyfoot
Incubating

Default Kinixys homeana hingebacks

Hi All

We have group of homeana hingebacks 2.3.14
Thought Id show you some photos, These are not a common species as many wild caught don't take to captivity. We've manage to hatch out this year 14 hatchlings. We've got another 10 eggs in the incubator. These guys are so lively and full of character. Not shy what so ever. They feed mainly off worms, slugs, snails, woodlice, mushrooms and fruit. Rarely do these guys eat greens or weeds, its not until later in life they really eat greens and even then its not a big part of their diet. I've caught them eating dried leaves before too. The diet in the wild is said to be as much as 80% protein. They come from the rainforest and swamp areas of Africa, so require very high humidity and plenty of water.
These guys when hatch out have no eggtooth, they seem to pop the head out and then bust the egg open when expanding from being curled up in the egg. I just love watching these guys, full of life and very feisty especially when live food is on the menu.
They grow to about 8", males being slightly smaller.

In the 2nd photo there is a comparison between a 8wk old and a 1wk old

So first up I'll load some hatchling photos.

Last edited by Anyfoot; 08-08-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:40 PM   #2
Anyfoot
Incubating

Old 08-08-2016, 09:42 PM   #3
Anyfoot
Incubating

Old 08-08-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
Anyfoot
Incubating

Old 08-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #5
Anyfoot
Incubating

4 video links below of our homeana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MbRmkJoL98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSEXksKjAfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTTxhClSISw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex0s6QPbeE4
Old 08-08-2016, 09:52 PM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

More fantastic photos! The comparison between the babies is a great photo. They certainly grow quickly.
Again, it's not a species I know much about so found it really informative and interesting. Congratulations on your successful hatchlings and good luck with the ones still in the incubator. I love how they bust out of their eggs. Amazing torts! Thanks for sharing.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:59 PM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

Wow amazing! Lovely healthy interesting hatchlings. As you say not seen very often so thanks for sharing.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:04 PM   #8
Anyfoot
Incubating

Thank you Emma. Love these guys, not popular, they were imported into the UK in numbers some years back, most probably perished. Deforestation is killing their natural habitats, and collecting for food and the pet trade also, although you won't get wc in the uk now.
I was lucky to get a 2.2.0 that were wc from 10yrs ago, then I got 2 more females off flintus(SW member). Unfortunately one of my females died a few months back.
However 3 of these are hers. These hatchlings are from all 4 females.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:13 PM   #9
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyfoot View Post
Thank you Emma. Love these guys, not popular, they were imported into the UK in numbers some years back, most probably perished. Deforestation is killing their natural habitats, and collecting for food and the pet trade also, although you won't get wc in the uk now.
I was lucky to get a 2.2.0 that were wc from 10yrs ago, then I got 2 more females off flintus(SW member). Unfortunately one of my females died a few months back.
However 3 of these are hers. These hatchlings are from all 4 females.
I loved seeing Ben's photos too. It's always so interesting to learn more about the less popular torts. So sad that they're losing their natural habitat. You clearly do an excellent job creating a suitable habitat for them and they're clearly thriving to be breeding successfully. So sorry to hear you lost one (Ben said he's suffered losses too - so hard for you both) but thank goodness you have her hatchlings and I'm sure you'll have plenty more to come.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:19 PM   #10
Anyfoot
Incubating

Yeah that was a tragic day for Ben. I literally had a lump in my throat when he told me about his disaster. His was the erosa. Very similar to the homeana.