Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 03-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
nicola
Egg

Default Help ASAP

Hiya everyone. just wondering if someone could help me with a problem i have. i have just recently introduced a new hermann to my other 3year old hermann but they dont seem to be gettin on. it's only been 1 1/2 days so fare but the one i had first really doesnt seem happy at all!! she keeps charging around her and looks like she keeps biteing her feet. is the problem going to sort itself out in time? fanks
Old 03-07-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
carl20
Hatchling

there is no saying for sure, my torts were born together and have spent there 3 months of life together and still bite each others faces. Some ppl say they do grow out of it though, although they can be come aggressive agen when sexually mature
carl20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Your tortoises are either male and female, and mating or trying too<g>.
Or one is trying to dominate the other. It should settle down, if you have two males,
if one of each then this could carry on while they are together.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
nicola
Egg

yea she's been trying to bite her face too. I was expecting a little fighting between them, obviously cos the first one has been in her tortoise table alone for about 5/6months. she's probably just trying to let her know whos the boss But ive been real scared to leave them together incase it gets serious. could this happen or is it me just worrying? thanks for your help
Old 03-07-2006, 06:52 PM   #5
nicola
Egg

fanks again for all your help. from the pictures i've seen, i think their both female. i really hope it does dye down tho. fanks
Old 03-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
sarah
Administrator
Adult

9 months ago i introduced my female red foot (mango) to my female and male red foot. Mango kept mounting the female and following her everywhere, we thought mango was a male. But we know know she isnt. She was just showing dominance. It took her months to calm down but all is fine now. Now this might be what is happening to your but are you sure they are both females?

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:40 PM   #7
carl20
Hatchling

the fighting can get serious but if the torts are the same size then the damage shouldn't be too bad, Ive heard of a big tort killing a younger tort through biting. Try feeding them seperate, mine always fight around food.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
nicola
Egg

oh!! thats made me worry even more. one is nearly double the size of the other one. I just hope they sort it out. No im not sure their both females, just a guess. i was terriefied to leave them together today.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:29 PM   #9
carl20
Hatchling

three of my leopards are the same size and one is 2-3 times bigger, but i dont worry about the bigger one cos he is the quiet one, i have never seen him bite.
it is the 2 little ****s only 3 months old that do all the biting, fortunately i built my enclosure with a divider so if it get s serious i can seperate the two quiet torts from the nasty 2 and just let them bite each others faces off O/J
Old 03-07-2006, 08:50 PM   #10
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

sorry as this isnt really a helpful thing. Are my Hermanns just placid or perhaps a little ignorant of their companions? I introduced my 5 yr old female to a 3yr old about 2 months ago now and I've never had a problem they get on well share food share basking spots infact do everything together.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote