Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 21-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #1
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Talking The amazing-ness of modern life

OK so my daughter has gone off to Finland for 3 months with her partner and baby. I'm used to seeing them twice a week and it goes to down to nothing.

The amazing thing is this Skype thing. Half an hour of chat and fun with sound and vision. And that costs zero?? Nothing??

Not long ago such things were science fiction.

OK I'll go off and be old somewhere else...but seriously a phone used to a big black thing that belonged to the post office. You actually were not allowed to own one.
Old 21-03-2017, 10:27 PM   #2
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
OK so my daughter has gone off to Finland for 3 months with her partner and baby. I'm used to seeing them twice a week and it goes to down to nothing.

The amazing thing is this Skype thing. Half an hour of chat and fun with sound and vision. And that costs zero?? Nothing??

OK I'll go off and be old somewhere else...but seriously a phone used to a big black thing that belonged to the post office. You actually were not allowed to own one.
Skype is brilliant when my son went to Japan seventeen years ago all we had was the phone and the calls had to be short as it was so expensive but now we have a regular hour long call once a week and can see our grandsons so we are not complete strangers to them.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post

Skype is still an unknown other worldly thing to me

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
A bit like what's app
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 12:21 PM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
I don't use it either Suze, nor Whats App.

My in-laws have iPads though so we regularly FaceTime with them. They're currently in Florida for the winter playing lots of golf so plenty of funny stories of a raccoon named Bandit plus little movies they've made of the snapping turtles that live on the course.
I totally understand what Jonathan is saying; when they're not in the UK we still chat all the time and see one another too, so it's not a lot different to a normal chat over a cuppa.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
tortydat
Sub Adult

We once left our son watching a West Ham football match on Skype while we went out in the garden and that was really bizarre coming in every so often to see how he was getting on as it was just as though he was here rather than 6,000 miles away!
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
We once left our son watching a West Ham football match on Skype while we went out in the garden and that was really bizarre coming in every so often to see how he was getting on as it was just as though he was here rather than 6,000 miles away!
How funny. It is so strange because it is the sort of thing one would do, but popping in to the sitting room.

I'm not a huge Skype fan, but have used it on the odd occasion to speak to friends far afield and so nice to see their faces - even if they do end up distorted because we all get too close to the screen!

Technology is just so amazing even if a bit scary. What next?
Old 22-03-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
Suze65
Adult

I once got an odd message on what's app ( not from Gordon ) saying I had been added to a group, it scared the life out of me , so I will stick to texting thanks.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #9
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
A bit like what's app
oh my ! that's hilarious. I thought you were asking whats upp (to me the other day !!) but mis spelt it !!
it didn't dawn on me ! wouldn't know what it is or how to use it? - like most kitchen utensils.

I can however tie my own shoe laces ! And like Steve some one going down a rough river rapids on a raft can survive in the out back.

Jonathan - was Fortitude shot in Finland? What a lovely break for them, it will fly by. And btw I still have bakerlite phones !! CB
Old 22-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

And .. not just modern technology ! why do we still do the clock thing...Is it scotlands fault Jonathan?

just think next week this time will be 22.50hrs ...way past my bedtime ! crazy ....