Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 25-01-2017, 10:49 PM   #11
emma_mcraf
Adult

I rarely drink. I'm not bothered by alcohol. As a super-sensitive coeliac, I've been 'glutened' by wine a couple of times as oak casks are sealed with a flour paste that can leach into the wine and also gluten is often used in the clarifying process. Most coeliacs won't be affected as it's such a tiny amount of gluten and wine is advised as a safe drink, but my two experiences blew my tummy up so I looked 5 months gone and was very uncomfortable. So I tend to not bother now. It's not worth the pain or the internal damage gluten does.
I've never been a regular drinker though so don't feel I'm missing out.

I knew someone who'd go dry from January to Easter every year and would lose a stone in the process. My MIL would rather give up food than her beloved Chardonnay.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 08:07 AM   #12
Gordon
Adult

Thinking about it the last time I opened a bottle was Christmas day drank the whole bottle b4 midday so when mother in law came I was in my own little place.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #13
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Thinking about it the last time I opened a bottle was Christmas day drank the whole bottle b4 midday so when mother in law came I was in my own little place.
That sounds a merry little Christmas.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #14
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
That sounds a merry little Christmas.
In my head it was
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #15
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I would love to know what your MIL thought of that! she probably thinks you always do that at the weekend ! !

I usually have a whipround for the local off licence as I feel sorry for them when I go into Dry January. I jest of course. Only 4 days to go !

I don't really miss it but I do like the ritual of having a spirit in an old crystal glass of my god mother's at 4 oclock at the weekend when reading the newspaper.
Old 27-01-2017, 03:09 PM   #16
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
I would love to know what your MIL thought of that! she probably thinks you always do that at the weekend ! !

I usually have a whipround for the local off licence as I feel sorry for them when I go into Dry January. I jest of course. Only 4 days to go !

I don't really miss it but I do like the ritual of having a spirit in an old crystal glass of my god mother's at 4 oclock at the weekend when reading the newspaper.
Spirits taste better out of crystal! I am partial to a whisky and hubby knows better than to serve it in anything other than a crystal tumbler!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote