Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 13-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #21
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
I have never heard of nurse practitioners we don't have them here.

I don't know what's going on either...
My wife's friend has had a severe headache for 6 weeks now, she was originally being treated for a sinus infection but antibiotics made no difference. next they said it was stress because here father had died, still it continued after more painkillers so they sent her for a scan, all clear they said. next they said it was muscular and advised a massage which she paid £40 for, no better. she then paid for acupuncture, no better. the docs kept assuring her it wasn't serious but it got to the stage where she couldn't go on and phoned an ambulance.

She was seen at A&E and was told they couldn't find anything and she could go home. She said she wasn't going anywhere and wanted to be admitted as it had gone on for 6 weeks so they agreed. they done the same scan as they had done weeks ago and this time told her it's meningitis! she's to get a MRI tomorrow and other tests to determine what strain it is so that she can get the correct antibiotics. they said depending on what type it is she could have died at any time had her temperature gone up. sinuses, stress, muscular
The outcome of this was, it wasn't meningitis although it showed up on the scan all the signs of it (according to docs at the borders gen anyway) so she was transferred to the western at edinburgh where further tests and scans and diagnosis by a neurologist and a team of docs (10 in all) revealed that it was a leak of the fluid that supports the brain in the head, causing the brain to drop and cause the severe pain. it can happen with people who have had lumber punctures or epidurals but she hadn't had either of those and was therefore very rare to just happen on its own accord, only about 8 cases a year they said. Her GP and the docs at the BG hospital had never even heard of it!!!! How scary is that? what do they learn them at UNI or medical school?? how to ID a cold?
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #22
TortBabe
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
The outcome of this was, it wasn't meningitis although it showed up on the scan all the signs of it (according to docs at the borders gen anyway) so she was transferred to the western at edinburgh where further tests and scans and diagnosis by a neurologist and a team of docs (10 in all) revealed that it was a leak of the fluid that supports the brain in the head, causing the brain to drop and cause the severe pain. it can happen with people who have had lumber punctures or epidurals but she hadn't had either of those and was therefore very rare to just happen on its own accord, only about 8 cases a year they said. Her GP and the docs at the BG hospital had never even heard of it!!!! How scary is that? what do they learn them at UNI or medical school?? how to ID a cold?
Oh my, I hope she'll recover very soon xx