Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
Pussygalore
Adult

thanks for that but aren't the working dogs the breeds that have always been docked so it hasn't really changed, those people that show those breeds are naturally going to say they are workers, when I've seen crufts on TV and I'm not a doggy person I'm sure that all the same breeds are still docked.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:51 PM   #12
EJ
Adult

This was common hundreds of years ago and still is in some parts of the world where tortoises are used as sustenance. People didn't have fridges so that was the best means of maintaining fresh meat. Now days there are other options for the most part but I'd bet it is still practiced in those less developed areas where tortoises are still present.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

only vets can do the docking of tails and only for medical reasons unless it is a actual working dog, the dog has to be actually working not be a dog that was orignally bred to work.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #14
Pussygalore
Adult

but isn't it like the hunting law there are so many loopholes that its impossible to enforce as with the hunting if you are going to ban something then it has to be all or nothing, I've just been reading about the docking and it would seem already there are loop holes " you can still show docked dogs if the dog demonstrates the type of work it would do" would you call that working, they can still be done without anastetic before their eyes have opened, how would you prove to a vet that the dog is working anyway if hunting is banned what sort of work could it, its a stupid law and the same as the hunting one will still carry on untill a total ban is enforced as to the idea that a dog with a long tail would damage it, what rubbish, why would it have been given a tail in the first place its our vanity and wanting to conform to the rest that makes us do it sadly a dog with a tail would be no doubt marked down in a class by an old fashioned judge maybe the dogs who've been docked should lose to one that hasn't that might make them sit up and think.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #15
EJ
Adult

In the case of a guard dog a long tail is a vulnerability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore
but isn't it like the hunting law there are so many loopholes that its impossible to enforce as with the hunting if you are going to ban something then it has to be all or nothing, I've just been reading about the docking and it would seem already there are loop holes " you can still show docked dogs if the dog demonstrates the type of work it would do" would you call that working, they can still be done without anastetic before their eyes have opened, how would you prove to a vet that the dog is working anyway if hunting is banned what sort of work could it, its a stupid law and the same as the hunting one will still carry on untill a total ban is enforced as to the idea that a dog with a long tail would damage it, what rubbish, why would it have been given a tail in the first place its our vanity and wanting to conform to the rest that makes us do it sadly a dog with a tail would be no doubt marked down in a class by an old fashioned judge maybe the dogs who've been docked should lose to one that hasn't that might make them sit up and think.
and
Old 09-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #16
aramintalovegrove
Juvenile

I am shocked and appauled every time someone tells me a story about when they had a tort, Ive got to the point I brace myself when someone tells me an anecdote now. there also seens to be lost of folk whom painted their address on the poor torts shell.
aramintalovegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:33 PM   #17
Larrah
Hatchling

Maybe i was just naive but you would think that if you paid a large sum of money for a tortoise the last thing you would want to do is drill a hole through it! I'm really alarmed that so many people have experiences of this happening. Poor tortoises! very sad,... xxx
Larrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #18
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

well 40 years ago tortoises were like £3 in todays money so they were cheap and so they wer enot considered a valuable pet in price wise. my anutie had one for her 3 birthday ..49 years ago now and it's still going to this day but i think that was down to her mother (my nan) taking them to birginham zoo to get advice.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #19
EJ
Adult

There are many different perspectives to keeping tortoises and animals in general. What might be appalling to one person is acceptable to another. This is not very different from cultural differences.

I've said this time and again that the only way anyone is going to make a difference is to maintain a line of communication to where the person you are trying to get the point across to is actually listening. They might not agree with you on the onset but when the lines of communication are maintained they can't help but give some thought to what you are saying if what you are saying is acceptable to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrah
Maybe i was just naive but you would think that if you paid a large sum of money for a tortoise the last thing you would want to do is drill a hole through it! I'm really alarmed that so many people have experiences of this happening. Poor tortoises! very sad,... xxx
and
Old 09-11-2007, 06:43 PM   #20
EJ
Adult

Not quite so...

European tortoises and the like might have been that cheap but the tortoises that typically had holes drilled in their shells were either unheard of or very expensive at that time... Leopards, Sulcatas, Burmese...

Those tortoises were bought from villagers who had them for food and shipped to the states or europe for really big bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifewarrior
well 40 years ago tortoises were like £3 in todays money so they were cheap and so they wer enot considered a valuable pet in price wise. my anutie had one for her 3 birthday ..49 years ago now and it's still going to this day but i think that was down to her mother (my nan) taking them to birginham zoo to get advice.
and