Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 05-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
Rowan
Sub Adult

Default Vet trip

Hey,

I had to take Tetley to the vets as he wasn't quite using his leg properly.

I thought maybe he'd pulled, twisted or worse case broken his foot.

The x ray showed no breaks but a suspicious mass taking up a third of Tetleys body cavety and this is pressing in his nerves causing his leg not to work

He's back home with me now with anti inflametries for pain relief.

He's also got MBD.

I have some decisions to make. An endoscopy to get samples or plastronoscopy. Or to leave him be or say good bye

Tetley is running around like a lune, charging through his water, eating for England and just being Tetley.

Row x x

Old 05-05-2017, 11:43 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

So sorry to read this Rowan
What does the vet think this mass is? A stone?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:49 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

Oh Row, I'm so sorry to read this. You must be feeling overwhelmed with it all.
I have no experience of anything like this but assume an endoscopy to get samples would be less intrusive than a plastronoscopy, and then you'd have definitive answers as to what the mass is.
I know MBD isn't good but it can be prevented from worsening. I presume it's not very severe as I always think of Tetley in your videos and photos outside getting lots of natural sunlight and warmth and that you use supplements on his food.

Hopefully the anti-inflammatory meds are keeping him pain-free and he sounds mobile enough. I hope a little intervention will be enough as he's too young for you to have to say goodbye but I know you'll make the right decision for him.

Keeping everything crossed here that everything is treatable and thinking of you. xxx

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
Rowan
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
So sorry to read this Rowan
What does the vet think this mass is? A stone?
The vet has said it is not a stone as not dense enough but more than likely to be a growth/tumour of sorts but without getting biopsies he would not like to say.

MBD has shocked me too, as you've said Emma, every bit of sunshine there is he's out and summertime 24 7. He has nutrobol, calcium new lamps every 6 months.

Interestingly the vet said to change the bulbs every 3 months and he's given me the name of some other vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement to use. Advising me to use with Twiglet too as he suspects, though has not seen Twig let, has it too as I keep them identically.

I'm gutted at this as I thought the husbandry I was giving was OK - I've failed.

Tetleys mass, what can I say. I look at him and see no difference apart from the very slight drag of his foot.

The vet said sometimes you do all the procedures to find what's wrong only to wish you hadn't found out what it is.

Do I want to put him through procedures, I don't know.

Do I want him to suffer, no.

Do I want him to be happy, yes.

Hes only 15,, I've had him 10 years and he's my friend

Row x

Writing this in tears - first time I've cried, my therapy!
Old 06-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

Row, sending you such big hugs. It is really awful news and I well imagine you are reeling from it. I don't think cysts can always be ruled out by x-ray, though someone may correct me on this. Of course you don't want him to suffer and you'll do the best for him you possibly can, as you have for all these years.
I'll be honest, the news has me reeling too as I've always enjoyed all your posts and seeing Tetley and Twiglet.

I assume the endoscopy would mean he'll be sedated or anaesthetised and then a Camera down his throat and they can take samples to biopsy?
I can understand some people not wanting to know but for me personally, I'd want to make an informed decision and I think knowing what the mass is would provide the knowledge to help decision making for the next step.

You're in a horrid situation and I really reach out to you, Row. Hopefully the tears will help a little as a release.
Please keep us informed and just pop on here for support whenever you need it. xxx

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
Rowan
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Row, sending you such big hugs. It is really awful news and I well imagine you are reeling from it. I don't think cysts can always be ruled out by x-ray, though someone may correct me on this. Of course you don't want him to suffer and you'll do the best for him you possibly can, as you have for all these years.
I'll be honest, the news has me reeling too as I've always enjoyed all your posts and seeing Tetley and Twiglet.

I assume the endoscopy would mean he'll be sedated or anaesthetised and then a Camera down his throat and they can take samples to biopsy?
I can understand some people not wanting to know but for me personally, I'd want to make an informed decision and I think knowing what the mass is would provide the knowledge to help decision making for the next step.

You're in a horrid situation and I really reach out to you, Row. Hopefully the tears will help a little as a release.
Please keep us informed and just pop on here for support whenever you need it. xxx
Such kind wors Emma, thank you.

I'll keep you updated. This place is home when it comes to me and my torts!

SW is the place where I know others understand, that although they are not furry they have characters and charm and silly little ways, habits and they do smile! They do know I'm their human as they are my tortoises! They do show affection.

Xxx
Old 06-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
Gordon
Adult

Hi Row
Sorry to hear about tetly I have to ask is the vet you saw a tortoise /reptile vet? .
As for mbd that sounds a bit odd to me as you are one of the most concious of keepers.
Never heard anywhere about changing bulbs every three months either so with him going out all the time I'm a bit puzzled.
Also if he is doing all his normal stuff he is obviously not suffering.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #8
Gordon
Adult

Forgot to ask Row where abouts is the dark area.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #9
Rowan
Sub Adult

Hey G,

Yes the vet is an exotics one 'I graduated from the R (D) SVS in 2003 and after several years in a mixed practice in the UK I moved to Hong Kong where I spent the next 10 years. I have completed a post graduate training position at the Calgary Zoo and the University of Calgary, Canada and I have done work for various zoological and wildlife institutions as well as cofounding an exotic animal hospital in Hong Kong.'

The dark mass is behind his lungs, where his gonads and kidneys are I think he said. I didn't see the x ray. I wasn't thinking clearly, stupid of me

As for MBD, I don't know what to think. I have to trust the expert. I thought, I hoped, I was doing OK, clearly not but I can try harder and do better and my very best.

Thanks for saying he's not suffering. I hope he's not. He's so active, eating like a horse(field), eyes bright, no change at all.

Row x x
Old 06-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #10
Suze65
Adult

So sorry to hear about tetley. It can be so hard to diagnose tortoises, and to know what's the best option to take, I understand your dilemma. I like Gordon am a little puzzled by the MBD idea, as you have brought them up the SW way, I wonder where that leave s the rest of us ! It would be interesting to get a second opinion that. I'm sure you will come to the right decision for Tetley, follow your heart and your head, tricky I know, but it can be done. Xx

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote