Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 27-04-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
Emmillie
Egg

Default Newbie needs help please!!

Hi all, i'm new to this forum and would appreciate some advice please. Ive read a lot of different opinions on the best substrate to use with my torty. Alot of people have used the Graded top soil from wickes, is it a good substrate to use and would i need to put anything i.e sand with it? Ill add a picture of the soil ive found, can someone please advise me wheather it's the right one or not. How would i go about adding water to it also? Just around the edge underneath or all over? As you can probably tell, i'm new to tortoise keeping and ive been given so much contredictive advice, im a bit confused. Thank you in advance. Em.

Emmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

Welcome Em, you have come to the right place for informed decision making. Your photo didn't update but don't worry as you will have to do 5 posts til it goes straight through without time delays. Do you know the species of tortoise you have ? most use top soil or coco coir but depends on species and that in turn dictates humidity - usually achieved with a warm plant spray or humid hide , or micro climate under basking spot...CB
Old 28-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #3
Emmillie
Egg

Hi cherry,
I have a horsfields tortoise, i'm going to get some graded top soil tomorrow to go into Flash's (tortoise )new table. I'm upgrading the size of the table. Ive got a hygrometer in with Flash and it's showing 56 is that good? Thank you for your reply
Old 29-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
Suze65
Adult

Hi Emmillie, and welcome. Sterilised top soil is best for Mediterranean species, you can mix top soil in with this. You need to water it quite regularly, you are aiming for a moist substrate that sticks together when you squeeze it together, but not wet. But hopefully you will be able to get your tortoise outside soon as the weather improves. Natural sunshines is better than artificial lights.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #5
Jan W
Sub Adult

Welcome to the site.

I used to use a fine water spray, so didn't 'water' as such as need to be careful not wet.

Look forward to not only seeing the picture of your substrate, but your tortoise.
Old 29-04-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
Emmillie
Egg

I managed to get some sterilised top soil today, so that has now gone into Flash's (my horsfield), new table. Ive got a hygrometer in there and it's showing 70, i'm hoping that will come down soon as i know it's supposed to be no higher than 60. temps are good i think, cool 24, hot fluctuating between 34-36. I cant upload photos yet as i have to post a few more threads?? I'm new to the whole forum thing so i'm not 100% sure.
Old 30-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmillie View Post
I managed to get some sterilised top soil today, so that has now gone into Flash's (my horsfield), new table. Ive got a hygrometer in there and it's showing 70, i'm hoping that will come down soon as i know it's supposed to be no higher than 60. temps are good i think, cool 24, hot fluctuating between 34-36. I cant upload photos yet as i have to post a few more threads?? I'm new to the whole forum thing so i'm not 100% sure.
Humidity can be between 50-65, there isn't a " it mustn't be higher than 60"
34-36 under tha basking light is too high, 31-32 is fine
Cool end needs to be 21-22

Your doing fine, no need to panic

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 03:45 PM   #8
Emmillie
Egg

Thank you all for your feedback. I appreciate it. The hot end is now between 30-32 after some readjustment. Humidity is down to 66
Old 30-04-2017, 09:18 PM   #9
Jan W
Sub Adult

You will be able to post a picture after 5 posts. However, you will need to use something like photo bucket where you can copy and paste. This was all double Dutch to me when I first joined, so you may need to ask for further advice if you are like me!
Old 30-04-2017, 09:57 PM   #10
Emmillie
Egg

Ill give it a go. Thank you
Update on Flash's new home- he loves it. Hes been active most of the day and has been exploring, i think he loves the bridge coz hes been over it and under ot loads. Hes dug down amd is not fast a kip. Hes had a busy day bless him. ����