Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 12-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles
Default Halogen basking help please

Hi everyone.
I'm changing my tort table around again (as we do ).

The table is 4ft x 2ft and rather than using a combined arcadia heat/light bulb this time I would rather use 2 separate lamps.
I already have a D3+UV flood 24watt and I was thinking of using a Arcadia halogen bulb for basking...
I'm going to put the heat about a quarter way down the table and then the light nearer the middle.
3 questions please, if you would be so kind

1. It says on Arcadia website that their halogen 50watt bulb compares to a 100watt tungsten bulb. Would the 50watt give me the required basking temp or should I order the 75watt as I can adjust the height as required?

2. Would the halogen bulb fit into a Exo Terra bulb holder that I used for my combined bulb?

3. If I positioned the UV flood length ways on the table just off centre, how close should I have the halogen bulb to the UV?

Thank you.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:34 PM   #2
terrypin
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Sayles View Post
Hi everyone.
I'm changing my tort table around again (as we do ).

The table is 4ft x 2ft and rather than using a combined arcadia heat/light bulb this time I would rather use 2 separate lamps.
I already have a D3+UV flood 24watt and I was thinking of using a Arcadia halogen bulb for basking...
I'm going to put the heat about a quarter way down the table and then the light nearer the middle.
3 questions please, if you would be so kind

1. It says on Arcadia website that their halogen 50watt bulb compares to a 100watt tungsten bulb. Would the 50watt give me the required basking temp or should I order the 75watt as I can adjust the height as required?
I believe this is a spot light unlike the combi lamps most of us use for basking which are floodlights. The benefits of a spot are the basking area is localised so making it easier to provide a temperature gradient. If they say it is equivelant in light density and heat as a 100w combi then perhaps this is all you need if the basking area is large enough for your tortoise

2. Would the halogen bulb fit into a Exo Terra bulb holder that I used for my combined bulb?
I am not sure what an Exo terra bulb holder looks like but these lamps have an E27 fitting which is edison screw the same as used by most Megray lamps, regardless it will need to be a ceramic heat proof holder.

3. If I positioned the UV flood length ways on the table just off centre, how close should I have the halogen bulb to the UV?
I dont really think they will benefit from the UV lamp whilst they are basking under the Halogen spot, and really the only UV they will be getting will be when the basking spot is turned off and they use the rest of the table. Personally I prefer to have a uvb combi lamp at one end and a uv fluorescent light positioned over the length of the table for when theyarent basking since I do turn my combi off for at least half of the day.

Thank you.
Thank you for listening
Old 12-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #3
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Thanks for replying Terrypin, I belong to your forum btw.

1. I thought more or less the same, I used to use a arcadia 100watt combi and that gave a warm enough basking area.

3. Hmm I didn't think of this. I thought if the 2 bulbs were close together an ideal position could be found by the tortoise to provide heat and UV. But I wasn't sure how close together the bulbs could be.

Quote:
Terrypin Personally I prefer to have a uvb combi lamp at one end and a uv fluorescent light positioned over the length of the table for when they arent basking since I do turn my combi off for at least half of the day.
Perhaps it's best to go back to using a combi bulb, then I know my bulb holder will be ok. I could also use my D3+UV flood 24watt a little further along the table.
Thank you for your comments, you have given me a bit more to think about
Old 12-10-2016, 11:44 PM   #4
terrypin
Adult

Forums tend to be influenced by the stronger personalities there so for a better range of opinions it helpful to post in.more than one place. That way you can make a more informed decision. Even if you copy and paste your post onto TI you may see comments on these lamps based on others experiences. I have just ordered new uv lamps and combined for my hatchlings prehibernation table and will be posting pictures and doing a review comparing this to my current set up.
Old 13-10-2016, 12:59 AM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

My suggestion is not to go backwards and use a combi lamp Anita because they are just not good in any way! The whole idea of them is a huge compromise.

In regards to what power of halogen I would suggest the 50 watt would probably be enough over a table of that size. Of course your ambient temp is also critical to this. Your basking spot will be small but I'm guessing its a small tortoise so that's ok.

If you were able to point your halogen in a side angle way, you might be able to get your basking spot under the peak uv area but I don't worry about this. The little uv flood will spread its light nicely across the area and I don't think the tortoise will be short on uv.
Old 13-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

love my arcadia D3 combi's. Got 80's 100's and 160' watts and moonlights also and with a clamp you can position where you like when you like and at what height you like,

I use the below on some of my tables - they are brilliant and can angle also.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reptile-Tor...=reptile+clamp
CB
Old 13-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #7
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

There's a few different views for you Anita! Who said forum debates were a thing of the past!
Old 13-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #8
terrypin
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
There's a few different views for you Anita! Who said forum debates were a thing of the past!
We have a section just for healthy debate. I do believe Anita has contributed there in the past. Where you can see things from a lot of different keepers perspectives and I hope be able to make an informed opinion of your own. I like to keep debate in one place so it can be monitored. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and should be allowed to state them and of course their reasons without fear of being condemned for it.
Old 13-10-2016, 06:10 PM   #9
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Quote:
Terry We have a section just for healthy debate. I do believe Anita has contributed there in the past. Where you can see things from a lot of different keepers perspectives and I hope be able to make an informed opinion of your own. I like to keep debate in one place so it can be monitored. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and should be allowed to state them and of course their reasons without fear of being condemned for it.
Oh my Well I don't pretend to know it all but I like to be involved lol. You're right everyone has their own opinions and that can make an interesting read. Take what you want from a post (if anything ) and disregard the rest.

Quote:
Ozric My suggestion is not to go backwards and use a combi lamp Anita because they are just not good in any way! The whole idea of them is a huge compromise.
You're right, I'm not going to go backwards. I have thought for a while that the combi bulbs have a narrow window for UV and for the tortoise to take advantage of this it has to be near the heat source, which I'm not keen on. I think you have the right idea Terry in turning off your combi's for half a day.

Quote:
CherryBrandy love my arcadia D3 combi's. Got 80's 100's and 160' watts and moonlights also and with a clamp you can position where you like when you like and at what height you like, I use the below on some of my tables - they are brilliant and can angle also.
Yeah I like the combi bulbs for ease of use and I love Arcadia lighting, I use them in my fishkeeping as well. Please don't take this the wrong way, you mentioned angling the bulbs, I've been reading up a bit on lighting today (as one does) and have come across a comment twice saying that the lighting should be facing downwards as the tortoises eyelids protect them from light from above. By angling a bulb the tortoise can directly look in the light. One place I read that was on the Arcadia website, the other I can't remember. I guess this wouldn't be that great for us either
Old 13-10-2016, 10:22 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Sayles View Post
Oh my Well I don't pretend to know it all but I like to be involved lol. You're right everyone has their own opinions and that can make an interesting read. Take what you want from a post (if anything ) and disregard the rest.

You're right, I'm not going to go backwards. I have thought for a while that the combi bulbs have a narrow window for UV and for the tortoise to take advantage of this it has to be near the heat source, which I'm not keen on. I think you have the right idea Terry in turning off your combi's for half a day.

Yeah I like the combi bulbs for ease of use and I love Arcadia lighting, I use them in my fishkeeping as well. Please don't take this the wrong way, you mentioned angling the bulbs, I've been reading up a bit on lighting today (as one does) and have come across a comment twice saying that the lighting should be facing downwards as the tortoises eyelids protect them from light from above. By angling a bulb the tortoise can directly look in the light. One place I read that was on the Arcadia website, the other I can't remember. I guess this wouldn't be that great for us either
yes don't angle the bulb ! they blow if you do that but the clamps can angle was my point so in other words can fit hori or verti and still have the bulb pointing down ! yes pick what suits too of course! I just love combi's and all my torts have thrived with them...except the Horsfields who have never seen one as they live as natural live as possible! CB