Adult

Well actually.........
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 12:02 AM   #12
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
As long as you have some backup heat in his box set on a thermostat he will be fine which could be a ceramic and a normal spotlight bulb I'm using arcadia solar basking bulbs now as normal spotlight bulbs just don't seem to last as long as they used to.
You could use a all in one bulb for his indoor table as you can get the right hight for it.
Although all in one bulbs are good they are not able to work on a thermostat so are not the best thing to use in any sort of box as they will be too hot unless it's huge.
Arcadia Basking Solar Flood lights - Best Prices | Swell Reptiles
https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arc...g-solar-flood/
So these bulbs are good Gordon? What wattage do you use?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 07:02 AM   #13
Gordon
Adult

I use 100w and you can use them on a dimming stat.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 12:19 AM   #14
burnt toast
Adult

Ordered 4 to try, thank you.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 09:47 PM   #15
EmmaBee
Egg

Thanks guys. I don't have an indoor table at all, when the weather is bad, he has the conservatory all to himself (I can lock it so the kids can't get in) where I have a combi lamp. The idea of having the bulb outside is so that he can stay outside for longer in the year, currently I'd have to bring him in at the end of September and not allow him back outside till mid April at the earliest! I won't have the UV on every day by any means, and absolutely not in the summer! I would just rather he came in for the last four weeks before hibernation and be able to go out from March. Hope that explains why I'm doing it!
EmmaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:15 AM   #16
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi there. I tried a combi lamp inside a converted dog kennel and it didn't work out because the heat cannot be controlled.

That was just my experience and the kennel wasnt very large but it wasn't a small one.

My view is that you dont need the uv and that is what is preventing the use of a dimming stat. Either a heat emitter or a halogen lamp gives you more heat for your watts and with a dimmer stat you are only burning electricity when its actually needed.

I should add though that I just don't use combi lamps at all any more - they are not very good at doing either of the tasks!

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 02-09-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:59 PM   #17
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaBee View Post
Thanks guys. I don't have an indoor table at all, when the weather is bad, he has the conservatory all to himself (I can lock it so the kids can't get in) where I have a combi lamp. The idea of having the bulb outside is so that he can stay outside for longer in the year, currently I'd have to bring him in at the end of September and not allow him back outside till mid April at the earliest! I won't have the UV on every day by any means, and absolutely not in the summer! I would just rather he came in for the last four weeks before hibernation and be able to go out from March. Hope that explains why I'm doing it!
Emmabee, just an observation and clearly we all do things differently but why not let nature takes its course and hibernate when he winds down. I have some very cheap pop up greenhouses (£7.00) over some of mine and once they don't come out I let them hibernate securely and then wake up and in the conservatory for a couple of weeks. Some of mine go down in September and don't wake up til March time - I do check them weekly though just in case. I know having heat is lovely but it is usually better when waking rather than prolonging pre hibernation IMO, but we are all different and so are the tortoises of course ! CB