Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 02-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #11
nina
Adult

Hi Cameron and Samantha and welcome to the forum! There's so much to learn about torts, but it's fun learning and people on this forum are great about giving helpful advice. One of the best ways to get answers to your questions is to look through some of the threads here, and also read the information on these two sites:
http://www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/index.htm
and
http://www.thetortoisehouse.com/
The first site is in the form of a downloadable booklet so you can print it out.

And keep asking those questions - we always say that the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked <g>
Old 02-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #12
aramintalovegrove
Juvenile

Thanks Nina,
Cam wanted to put his post up, he knows most of it but also really gets the concept of gaining information from others so thats what the barrage of questions above was about.
Im really proud of his interest and as an only child I think a pet such as a tort which is a lifelong commitment is a really great education for him. He is so excited about the fact that I have said yes after doing the reaserch neccesary in order to make an informed decision about whether a Tort is right for us, he is biting at the bit to get one but I have explained the importance of getting the right Tort at the right time.
I will let him post occasionally but he will always have them checked by me before they are posted, and i think its really important that he asks the questions he wants in his words so there will be little censorship on my part, I have noticed others children post independently but as he is only 7 I think i need to keep an eye on what he is writing, the way you will know it is him is from the sig at the end I have said he must always sign Cameron at the end.
Hope that makes sense!
Sam
aramintalovegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:40 AM   #13
Bride2b
Sub Adult

Hi to you both

Welcoem to Shelled Warriors its a brilliant site with lots of excellent info and if you have a question you can post a message and someone will reply to it.
What species of tortoise are you hoping to get, its great that you are both doing your research on the care of tortoises, good luck.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:16 AM   #14
anya
Egg

Default Hello

Hi Cameron and Samantha, SW is a fantastic site for answering all those nagging questions.

Think you have taken a very responsible attitude on gaining knowledge before you start, my daughter and I surfed the net like mad before we got our first tortoise, the understanding of these fantastic creatures has come on leaps and bounds since I had one as a child and now its fab to share them with my 3 girls.

Hope you find a suitable tortoise soon.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #15
aramintalovegrove
Juvenile

Hi Anya and Tanya
I would really love an indian star as they are so pretty but Im swaying towards a Horsefield as our first, Im sort of keeping my options open as I would ideally like to get a rehomer.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:40 PM   #16
tortoiseguy
Sub Adult

I am so impressed by your attitude and the way you are going about this and teaching your son valuable lessons at the same time. I would suggest that you avoid Indian Stars are they are tricky. To start with I would suggest hermans as they are far easier and I think are a better pet for children (with a caring adult to supervise) as they have more personality
tortoiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #17
anya
Egg

Yep start with something easier first as tortoise guy said Hermans are good, our hermans are really firendly and I think your son would like this aspect of them, our Horsfields are v feisty and wriggly to hold also like to try and bite you if they get the chance but we love them all the same, pictures of our babies on our signature.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:26 AM   #18
summerangel
Hatched

Hello to you both
Julia
summerangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:56 AM   #19
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi and welcome to SW Samantha and Cameron.

Samantha, you are doing a fantastic job, letting Cam be his own person whilst still observing. you are showing him resposibility and commitment by taking your time and researching whether or not a tortoise is for you or not especially when a tortoise is over a lifetimes commitment it shouldnt be taken lightly.

Well done.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #20
aramintalovegrove
Juvenile

Cheers Ade.
As you have prob read we have little Tegumai now and Cameron is soo besotted..me too. Cam has taken such a healthy interest. when I got up this morning he was tearful and said it was because he thinks he may love Tegumai more than me and his Dad!!

Any way I have decided I am going to enrol him on the TT web course along with me as I think although it maybe a little intense he has learnt so much he will prob be able to do ok, with a little help.